Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do I get my parents to homeschool me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mag 30179
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: how do I get my parents to homeschool me Reply with quote

Hi I am about to go into the 10th grade and I think it will be best for me if I start homeschooling how can I get my parents to see that it is the best for me and that I can do better than if I continue with the public school system my dad dose not want to homeschool me because
1he is not a teacher
2 he dissent know about online classes
PLEASE HELP
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some ideas:

1. Research all the facts about homeschooling online.

2. Take notes that you can show to your parents.

3. Make a list of specific reasons why you would like to be homeschooled.

4. Talk to your parents and go over the list of reasons and the facts about homeschooling. Ask them if it might be possible.

5. Do your best and make good grades in school. Prove to your parents that you are working hard now and will continue to work hard if you are homeschooled.

6. Study independently without complaining so your parents will know that you can also work independently if you are a homeschooler.

7. Wait patiently with a good attitude until your parents make a decision, but continue to discuss homeschooling when opportunities arise.
mag 30179
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to my dad he said if I did good this year I can start homeschooling this summer so when most kids start the 11th grade I will be halfway through the 11th grade
carolinediana
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been homeschooled throughout the whole of secondary and there are some real benefits. Firstly its flexible so you can focus on what you want. You also learn stuff faster as either you recieve one-to-one tuition or you teach yourself with less distractions. But you have to be dedicated, hardworking and motivated as you cannot really be forced to do your stuff if you're homeschooled. Its up to you at the end of the day. Being homeschooled has made me academically way ahead of all my peers as I have worked at my own pace and I have also learnt to self teach myself which basically prepares you for a levels and uni.

Proof: I completed maths and arabic gcses in year 8, ict and dt in year 9, physics in year 10 and have recieved all a*s. This year I'm finishing off bio, chem, english lang, english lit, history and i am also predicted a*s. I am also doing an a level in maths early and recieved 99ums in the first module last year. I am predicted a* in my maths a level hopefully and an a in my arabic as level i am also doing this year.

The only one drawback is that you may lose out a bit on the social side but its about what you make of it. If you keep in touch with your friends, volunteer and stuff you will be fine and DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SAY HOMESCHOOLERS ARE SOCIAL REJECTS OR WIERD because its hardly ever the case.

The cons are that homeschooling is very expensive as you have to pay for all your tuition and your exams aswell (recently calculated that in total my exam entries have probably cost almost £2000 in total). Due to controlled assessments you probably won't be able to do gcses like dt or ict any more and you would have to look into exam-based igcse exams.

Another issue i've found is that people for some reason look negatively on me as soon as i mention i'm homeschooled. They stereotype homeschoolers until I end up proving them wrong and they realise that I am just as capable and perhaps more capable than other students my age. The other day I went to a sixth form open evening and after I told a teacher I have been homeschooled he said, " So why are you considering going back into education then?" It was as if he thought i had sat at home doing nothing for the last 5 years! On the other hand though when I told students at the school that I'm homeschooled they were really impressed and interested!

Hope this helps you. Remember the key to homeschooling is motivation and effort and you should try to keep your social life going though you probably will experience a few moments of loneliness sometimes. All in all though, I think the benefits of homeschooling outweigh the cons and its worked for me so far but if you decide you don't like it after a while you can always return to school!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: