Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overwhelmed, don't know where to begin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somo_chickenlady
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Overwhelmed, don't know where to begin. Reply with quote

My husband and I moved to this area from a different state 18 months ago along with our 13 year old DS. When we were considering this area we researched the school (rural in SW Missouri) and it seemed great. We have since learned that it is not. They buy their students off with candy and soda if they get good enough grades. They are also given extra days off of school if their test scores are high enough. They got extra points on their grade if they showed up on Halloween with a mask. If they attend enough days in the year, they don't have to take finals at the end of the year. That is just the surface issues that I have a major issue with.

The school that DS went to at our old home was one of the best in the city we lived in, and he was ahead of the rest of his class when we moved here. Now, he is falling behind. He is drastically behind in spelling, as in, can barely spell on more than a 3-4 grade level (his reading level is on cue, thankfully) b/c he came from a school that doesn't teach spelling in elementary school. His school has never mentioned it to me as a problem and I didn't find out until this summer when he showed me a story he was writing. I think the biggest issue is that most of the children that attend that school do not go on to college, so the school does the very minimum in order to get funding. We WANT and expect our son to go to college, and we don't feel that he will have that opportunity if he continues to go to that school.

Anyway, my husband is looking for a new job out of state. He had one lined up and we were supposed to be moved before their school started for the year. Well, we found out today that it fell through. I REALLY do not want DS to go back to that school, so we are seriously considering homeschooling him.

My concerns are how hard it is to do, especially since I am jumping in at the 8th grade level rather than starting from the beginning. I have NO clue what I need to teach him, or where to find it. I don't know what he has already learned, and I don't want to waste my time teaching him something he has already learned. Another big issue is price of the materials and curriculum. We can't afford a lot. I'm the type of person that needs something that says "Teach him this, say this, do this, this, and this..." but from what I've heard, most of those programs are expensive. I'm NOT good at just winging it...but maybe after time I will get used to it. *shrug*

We do still plan to move, but it will be a while. We have some things here that we need to wrap up before we can move again. Depending on how it goes, we may put him back in public school once we move if it is a good school. If things go well, and I like homeschooling him, I may continue to do it. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I'm worried about the here and now.

I've been trying to search and look up about homeschooling, but it is all so confusing and overwhelming. Sad Any advice and suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are new to homeschooling, it can be very overwhelming. First, go to this link to read about the homeschooling laws for your state. Check to see if you are required to teach certain subjects or not.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/

Next you can look at a scope and sequence for 8th grade. It can also be called a typical course of study. It will tell you what he needs to learn for that grade. Here are two links. You can use these as a guide.

http://www.educationworld.com/standards/state/toc/index.shtml/

http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study

I would not recommend buying an expensive curriculum. There are many free resources online and you can use your public library also. Here is a link for just ONE site that is free.............there are so many others!!

http://www.mastermath.info/

The more you read and learn about homeschooling, the more comfortable you will become. Best wishes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: