Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missouri Law ? Daughter was in Headstart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_marines_wife03
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Missouri Law ? Daughter was in Headstart Reply with quote

My daughter was in Head Start this year. We have decided to home school. What do I have to do by law. Do I have to notify anyone that I am home schooling her. I was told that if you had a child that was in the public school system you had to notify the school and district you are in that you are home schooling every year by the first of September. I don't Know what I need to do by law. Can anyone help me and direct me to the information I need. thanks Julie
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Missouri Law ? Daughter was in Headstart Reply with quote

Boy, someone really garbled the law. Shocked

Here is HSLDA's analysis of MO law.

There is no requirement to notify anyone, ever.

Compulsory school age is 7yo. However, if a child were enrolled in public school for kindergarten or first grade (so he'd be 6 or 7) then any homeschool requirements would kick in then instead of 7yo.

Nevertheless, there's no notification requirement.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
a_marines_wife03
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information and clarifying. I am glad I was told wrong I did not want to have to notify anyone. But i had a couple moms tell me that because she was enrolled in head start last year I would have to give notice that i was going to be home schooling. Do I need to be keeping a portfolio and keeping track of her hours already because she was enrolled in head start ??? thanks a bunch
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_marines_wife03 wrote:
Thank you for the information and clarifying. I am glad I was told wrong I did not want to have to notify anyone. But i had a couple moms tell me that because she was enrolled in head start last year I would have to give notice that i was going to be home schooling. Do I need to be keeping a portfolio and keeping track of her hours already because she was enrolled in head start ??? thanks a bunch

You don't have to give notice to anyone that you're going to homeschool.

I don't know the ages for Head Start. Was that preschool-age? If so, then no, you wouldn't have to do anything. It's only if the dc were enrolled in kindergarten or first grade.
a_marines_wife03
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes head start is 3 years to 4 or 5 years old she was 4. She will be 5 aug 20 so I know she is below the compulsory age but I want to start trying out some methods for record keeping to find something that will work well us. I also think i will do better if I just start with it right off instead of waiting tell she is seven to start record keeping. Head start really keeps records just like home schooling they gave me a portfolio with her work from the year beginning middle and end and then they did some improvement questions and included those to show what they improved on through the year. and every week we had to fill out in kind papers which was activities that taught certain skills and we had to do them with our child and keep track of the time and write something about the activity. The hole year I never realized that it was just Home school record keeping that they were doing.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_marines_wife03 wrote:
yes head start is 3 years to 4 or 5 years old she was 4. She will be 5 aug 20 so I know she is below the compulsory age but I want to start trying out some methods for record keeping to find something that will work well us. I also think i will do better if I just start with it right off instead of waiting tell she is seven to start record keeping. Head start really keeps records just like home schooling they gave me a portfolio with her work from the year beginning middle and end and then they did some improvement questions and included those to show what they improved on through the year. and every week we had to fill out in kind papers which was activities that taught certain skills and we had to do them with our child and keep track of the time and write something about the activity. The hole year I never realized that it was just Home school record keeping that they were doing.

Then if you want to keep records, you may; but you are not *required* to do so. That's an important distinction. Smile

Also, don't make the record-keeping more draconian than it needs to be. IOW, don't over-comply, especially since it isn't mandatory that you submit those records to anyone. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: