Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SS and homeschooling in Illinois

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naaz
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: SS and homeschooling in Illinois Reply with quote

Hello, we're homeschooling in Illinois and my daughter received benefits from her biological father. We're having no real trouble with social security other than that they asked for a 'Certificate of Intent' for our educational program. The language of this confuses me. Does anyone know what they mean exactly?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois Reply with quote

naaz wrote:
Hello, we're homeschooling in Illinois and my daughter received benefits from her biological father. We're having no real trouble with social security other than that they asked for a 'Certificate of Intent' for our educational program. The language of this confuses me. Does anyone know what they mean exactly?

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Certificate of Intent" for homeschoolers in Illinois. Illinois is a private school state; that is, a court case some years ago decided that homeschoolers are equivalent to private schools. Parents just decide to homeschool; they don't need to notify anyone.

Are you a member of HSLDA? I know they have dealt with Social Securty issues before. If you're not, it might be worth it for you to join.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
naaz
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Certificate of Intent" for homeschoolers in Illinois. Illinois is a private school state; that is, a court case some years ago decided that homeschoolers are equivalent to private schools. Parents just decide to homeschool; they don't need to notify anyone.

Are you a member of HSLDA? I know they have dealt with Social Securty issues before. If you're not, it might be worth it for you to join.

I'm not, and at the moment I don't see how it would be possible for us to join. Really, it's just the language that's exceedingly confusing. It also mentions documentation of state mandated tests and, well, there are no statutes mandating standardized testings in Illinois and I intend to tell them that.

Is there such a thing as a Certificate of Intent in other states that maybe can point out isn't required? It clearly seems like a form letter, maybe that's the issue?
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois Reply with quote

naaz wrote:
elliemaejune wrote:

I'm not, and at the moment I don't see how it would be possible for us to join. Really, it's just the language that's exceedingly confusing. It also mentions documentation of state mandated tests and, well, there are no statutes mandating standardized testings in Illinois and I intend to tell them that.

Is there such a thing as a Certificate of Intent in other states that maybe can point out isn't required? It clearly seems like a form letter, maybe that's the issue?

I've never heard anything referred to as "Certificate of Intent." Notice of Intent, yes; Certificate of Intent, no.

I guess you'll just have to talk to someone in person and show her the Illinois homeschool summary, and how neither a Certificate of Intent nor standardized testing is required in Illinois and see waht happens.

HSLDA does have the option to make payments, if it looks as if SS isn't going to budge.
naaz
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:

I've never heard anything referred to as "Certificate of Intent." Notice of Intent, yes; Certificate of Intent, no.

I guess you'll just have to talk to someone in person and show her the Illinois homeschool summary, and how neither a Certificate of Intent nor standardized testing is required in Illinois and see waht happens.

HSLDA does have the option to make payments, if it looks as if SS isn't going to budge.

I think I realize what was done wrong. In filing we chose home school as the school she was attending. Apparently, in other states a yearly certificate of Intent is required to be submitted at the beginning of the year.

I think this might be a case of choosing home school where I should've chosen private, and of a confusing, badly worded, form letter. Thank you for your help and my husband and I are talking about the HSLDA!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: SS and homeschooling in Illinois Reply with quote

naaz wrote:
elliemaejune wrote:

I think I realize what was done wrong. In filing we chose home school as the school she was attending. Apparently, in other states a yearly certificate of Intent is required to be submitted at the beginning of the year.

I think this might be a case of choosing home school where I should've chosen private, and of a confusing, badly worded, form letter. Thank you for your help and my husband and I are talking about the HSLDA!

Some states do required parents to submit a notice of intent annually, but as I said, most don't, and I haven't heard of any that call it a "certificate" of intent. Who can figure out government stuff?? Laughing

It is true, though, that in Illinois you are a private school, not a homeschool. IL has a court case which decided that homeschoolers are the equivalent of private schools, rather than a law that allows parents to homeschool, if you see the difference.

Good luck, Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: