Homeschool Coops

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

madeaux
User

Homeschool Coops

Postby madeaux » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:03 am

I am seriously considering homeschooling my daughter for middle school. She is very social and I would love to work together with a few other families to make homeschooling easier for us all and to give the children more variety in perspectives and styles. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so I'm wondering if any veteran homeschooling parents have done a small coop like this. If so, what structure do you use to keep things operating smoothly? What are the main benefits and challenges?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mado

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Challenges:

-Teachers are absent due to sickness
-Teachers showing up late
-Discipline problems with younger children
-Teens 'hanging out' and not going to their classes

I'm sure there are many more challenges.

Benefits:

-Your child will make friends with other homeschoolers.
-You make friends with other moms.
-Your child will have the benefit of having lots of teachers (not just you).
-Your teen can ask those teachers to write letters of reference for jobs and college or scholarship applications.
-Some things are just more enjoyable when you do them in a group setting.
-Other moms may be expert in certain subjects and that can benefit your child. (for example, a mom might have graduated from college with a degree in science and she will teach biology to the teens; science may not be your strong point)
-It's fun!

Some thoughts on operating smoothly:

-Make sure you have rules. I have been involved with co-ops that have essentially no rules (which is a safety issue) and I've been involved with co-ops that have too many rules (which is no fun for anyone). I think there can be a good in-between.
-Make sure each teacher has one or two assistant teachers.
-Have an opening assembly for announcements, etc.
-Be sure that each teacher takes attendance and turns it in. (safety issue.........make sure every child is accounted for)
-Make a rule that every mom helps in some way. (exception: Moms who are brand new to the co-op - the first semester they attend - are not required to help.) Some moms will want to teach. Some will want to be assistants. Others can do jobs like cleaning.

I may be referring to ideas that only apply to a little bit larger co-op. I think the smaller your co-op is, the less rules you need. You can be more laid back. I have done a small co-op and we were that way; it was very enjoyable.

Here is a link for a book:

http://www.amazon.com/Homeschool-Co-ops ... 1593305338

madeaux
User

Postby madeaux » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks Laura!

Return to “Getting Started”