Helping my preteen with her passion for blogging

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Helping my preteen with her passion for blogging

Postby kkapfe » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi everyone!

We currently use Bob Jones Online so my daughter (age 12) has a "blog" connected with her online school log-in. Most likely we will be moving towards using just the books next school year instead of watching the videos online (since I end up teaching all the lessons anyway). I'm assuming that when we switch from online videos, she will no longer have access to her profile and online buddies.

So...I need to find her a replacement. She loves to connect with kids her age. She likes to write things in her "blog" about movies she likes, things she does with her friends, etc. Is there somewhere on line that is NOT connected to a particular curriculum that is safe for her to network with other kids like her? I realize that there are places like Facebook but I'm not quite ready to let her loose in Facebook-land yet.

Ideas?

TeacherDeng
User

Postby TeacherDeng » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Well, depending on how daring you are (and how much oversight you can provide) setting her up on WordPress or BlogSpot would be great. It would also give your daughter an opportunity to get into the "nitty gritty" of the blog, actually seeing how some of the HTML works and using/rearranging widgets. (but if she's not interested in that that's fine too, it's still perfectly easy to create posts about movies or books or school)

The main disadvantage is that there isn't a built in community, so she would have to share her new page with her friends before you stop using the Bob Jones Online service. I think you would still have to keep an eye on her web browsing, and if you're still uncomfortable about using either WordPress or BlogSpot you should definitely keep them in mind as she gets older, because they are very good tools to get into website design which can come in handy for just about any opportunity later in life.

cindyg
User

Postby cindyg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:48 pm

First of all I think it is awesome that you are wanting to grow this passion in her. I love blogging!

You might want to check into Kidblog, Kids Blog Club and Blog by Kids. Those are some sites that I have heard of and looked into for my son but then he decided that was not his thing!
Cindy Grayson
Mom to: John age 11 and Candice age 19
Save Money on Your Entire Families Medical Costs

hannahsmith
User

Re: Helping my preteen with her passion for blogging

Postby hannahsmith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:54 am

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”