Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why do you want your child to be homeschooled?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coleen
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: why do you want your child to be homeschooled? Reply with quote

just wondering why parents settle for homeschooling. Smile
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you ask why we settled? I didn't settle for anything and I seriously doubt the majority of the people you talk to would feel like they settled either. I made a choice! Just like some people choose to put their children in the public schools.

My choice was made with several factors in mind. The fact that I control the curriculum, the condition of my local schools, their safety at those schools, and the education that the children receive there were the most important. Then there is the flexibility of my days, the fact that my kids are learning so much more than just what they memorize and regurgitate and it is tailored specifically for their learning abilities and needs.

We are very hands on and we think outside of the box at my house. My kids are doing things and are able to experience things that I promise you most PS kids wouldn't get to do because it is during the day and set up just for HS kids. Don't think that they aren't doing fun stuff though because we also do the same field trips that most of the PS's do just with a few families instead of 200 yelling kids. I get the best of both worlds this way!
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering why you would think we settled for homeschooling? Very Happy
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: why do you want your child to be homeschooled? Reply with quote

coleen wrote:
just wondering why parents settle for homeschooling. Smile

I always wonder why people settle for public school.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public school is catered to the average student, and the middle 80% of the class will probably do ok in areas that have a strong focus on education (for instance, we have excellent schools / colleges around here). Given, they'd do better at home, and they'd undoubtedly be safer there as well, but a lot of parents feel they're too busy, or not qualified to teach their children, or are afraid of stunting their children's social growth (this is a myth), or just don't know where to start. The perceived benefits of homeschooling are outweighed by the perceived costs.

This equation changes, of course, if the local schools are bad, or if children are far above or below the grade level for their age. Suddenly, homeschooling has a large perceived benefit, and the perceived costs of homeschooling no longer seem to matter as much.
bookletgeo
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting way to frame the question. Coleen, why did you choose to use the word settle?
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't "settle" for homeschooling. It was a choice that was made after much consideration and research. We considered homeschooling to be a better option than public school. The education being provided by public schools is not a quality education anymore. I won't settle for a public school education, I want something better for my children.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
Matt Conrad
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschooling is fun, our kids learn more, they are happier, they don't have a zillion negative influences, they don't waste lots of time on nonsense (well, they do, but it is THEIR nonsense, for fun, not pointless drudgery).

Homeschooling is a lot of responsibility. It's a lot of work. We give up a comfortable second income. My kids are out of step with their peers, which is mostly good, but has its minuses. But overall, well worth it.

Haven't regretted it so far, and we've homeschooled from the start.

I assume from the smiley you "get it"--but we didn't settle, we chose.
kgianforti
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We chose to homeschool to give our kids a solid Bible based education.
Reepicheep
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can push students with college level material in certain areas - brightest students too often get left behind/develop lazy habits

it's the worldview, stupid

homeschooling gives students better social skills!
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.
RodeoMom
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our area "settling" would define the public schools.

We live way out of town. The closest school would keep me on the road over 2 hours everday to and from. The next one picks the ranch kids up at 6 AM and brings them home at 5:30 PM way too long a bus ride.

Secondly, NM isn't known for turning out scholars en mass. I believe the dropout rate in the public schools is 73%.

There is one public school in the area (the 2 hour drive) which is the only school in the area getting decent reviews. It's an immersion school. However, I have a friend who is a Dr. though they believe in the idea of increasing IQ by mapping new pathways in the brain via learning a 2nd language, she is highly disappointed that they teach to the lowest students. Her pre-k child is doing the same math her 2nd grader public school child is.

I simply won't settle for a poor education. College is our goal in this house and I believe I can better prepare my children on my own - the world is a competitive place and public school isn't developing or catering to the best and the brightest. Since when did it become "bad" to have rocket scientists and burger flippers in the same class? Everyone is meant to do something and we aren't all equals - let them be what they are going to be by setting the bar high and seeing who reaches for it and having expectations of children, rather than keeping it so none can reach their potential because the bar is set so low.
roo
User

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't settle for PS either...we choose HS due to the behavior of OTHER kids towards mine. It makes a big difference in a life of a kid if all you here all day is "your a jerk" and I'm being nice with my word Jerk also as that was not the word used! My ds didn't know what being straight was and so he said no...that blew up a huge problem that the school didn't do enough to stop. Kids can be very cruel and so can their parents.

We choose HS because we love and care about our children and want them to feel good about themselves!

Also want to mention that our schools are far apart, so it's a hour and half bus ride also!! And in NC that can get hot!!

Take care!
kelly
2 tabby cats and 1 baby bunny named Moses!
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

settle? No, it was our choice to HS.

Our schools here are good but the one we are zoned for is the worst one for this county.

Safety is a huge issue for us. the school we are zoned for is known for lots of fights. The 2 Resource Police Officers are always busy pulling kids apart in fights.

My kids were not getting a good education. One as mainstreamed in the a regular class with a ASL interpreter. She has hearing lost.
My other child was in ESE classes all day with kids with various learning problems. The only problem this child had was his hearing not his learning. Both came from the residental deaf school. Both are behind in their grades.

Now that they are home with me, they can focus on what they have missed and working the areas that they need to fill in the gaps in their learning. Both are smart and love to learn. They both have shown me a hunger for learning and they are soaking up a lot.

Homeschooling is a choice not something we have settled to do. Homeschooling is a life. Homeschooling is full of rewards and smiles both for the child and for the parent. My children both wanted to come home to learn. It was as much their choice as it was for me and my husband.
TheresaHPIR
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not home schooling yet, and I don't know for sure if that's the route I'm going to choose right now. My son won't even be a year old until September 21, lol. However, I'm doing a lot of research now as the concept appeals to me.

There are some good schools in my area, and they're very close to home. However, they are grossly overcrowded. If my son does average, I don't want him to get lost in the chaos. If he's behind, I don't want him LEFT there. And if he's advanced, I want him to be challenged. I feel that I can better tailor to his educational needs (whatever they may turn out to be) at home.

I also think I can make learning a lot more fun. Due to underfunding, schools around here are losing field trips, and next on the cutting block are going to be programs like art and music. I want him to have a well-rounded experience with plenty of opportunity for hands-on learning.
philipsteele
User

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is dependent...Some people think that they can give more care to their children's, or they have no believes in the current public education system..some one is looking for the expenses...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: