Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rod & Staff curriulum question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bttrflyvld
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Rod & Staff curriulum question Reply with quote

I'm trying to find out more information about Rod & Staff's curriculum. Information seems scarce. Review are good but do not give much specific information.

What homeschooling type is Rod & Staff?

What is you opinion about math, reading, social studies. Art, music, penmanship, Science?

-Are they easy to teach?
-How much prep time is involved for the parent?
-Are they thorough? ie up to ps grade level equivalent or higher
-Are they interesting for the child? (I've heard someone call some of their subjects slow, as in a bit boring)
-How are their books meant to teach? ie do you do a formal lesson or are they out of a book? (workbook style?)

And last what is your weekly teaching schedule like? Please also include what grades you have used. Anything else you'd like to share that you wish you'd known when you started using it would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rod & Staff curriulum question Reply with quote

Rod and Staff Publishers is a Mennonite company, writing and publishing traditional school textbooks. As such, they do not have a Web site. However, if you call the company at (606) 522-4348, they will gladly send you a catalog, a scope and sequence, and curriculum samples, which will answer most of your questions. Smile

Personally, I like the math and science series; the reading, not so much, especially the first grade materials, as it is heavy on sight reading. Haven't used the music materials. R&S doesn't publish its own art series; they sell Art With a Purpose, which is "prepared" by Share-A-Care. I like the cursive penmanship instruction, but the first grade manuscript paper is too large.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
foundations45
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the do have a website here...http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/

You can go on their site, see samples and actually request a grade level sample of their books and curriculum.

We have just started using the Grade 2 reading, spelling, phonics and Grade 3 and Grade 6 english (grammar). These are textbooks and are black and white. I didn't think my 2 sons ages 7 and 10 would enjoy them... but they love them! Especially the reading. All the reading assignments for this level are biblical stories retold at their grade level. My kids love to read about their favorite bible heroes. My older son was about 2 years behind in reading and has improved so he is now only 1 year behind. I attribute much of this to the structure of the reading program.

As with any program though, it has to fit your family and learning styles. I encourage you to get the samples to see.

Blessings!
Terri
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foundations45 wrote:
Actually the do have a website here...http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/

You can go on their site, see samples and actually request a grade level sample of their books and curriculum.

The Web site is not owned by Rod and Staff Publishers. It is a completely independent business, not connected at all with the publisher other than selling R&S materials. Smile

I usually send people to the publisher first. That's where the Web site owner gets the curriculum samples and scope and sequence. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
mindy8
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: our experience Reply with quote

I would definitely recommend looking up sample pages. We have only done their Grammar and we found some of it to be kind of confusing. My husband would get annoyed with the lack of explanation when I was gone and he tried to help the kids. But the worksheets that go along with the lessons for practice are great and inexpensive and so are the test booklets - really affordable@
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: