Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pilot Testing New Series of Newtonian Mechanics Texts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Local Events, Services, Commercial Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerald Truesdell
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Pilot Testing New Series of Newtonian Mechanics Texts Reply with quote

Hello everyone, greetings from Newtonian Thinkers! We are in the process of developing a series of mechanics texts for self-study. The first text is written and has been classroom tested. We are looking for some home school students that are high school age who wish to develop a seriously deep understanding of Newtonian mechanics. Mechanical and civil engineering are mostly Newtonian mechanics. Other college engineering programs also begin with a year of calculus based physics, which starts out with one semester of Newtonian mechanics. The only pre-requisite is some algebra, good number skills and a willingness to study.

My name is Jerald Truesdell, and I have been a professor of math and computer science at Niagara County Community College for 27 years. At my day job I teach pre-calculus, multi-variable calculus, differential equations and linear algebra. I also tutor calc-based physics, and mentor numerous engineering students when they transfer. I will personally be mentoring students throughout the process.

Public schools, on the average, do a very poor job in preparing children for college-level engineering. We aim to build a platform that will allow anyone to become adequately prepared for the most rigorous college-level engineering program, with or without a teacher. Thank you in advance for being part of this.

The cost of each text is $30 + shipping if purchased directly through me. The texts can also be purchased through CreateSpace, which is an affiliate of Amazon.com, directly from Amazon.com, or from Barns and Noble. Each text will cover 1/2 year of study, and there are a total of three texts being written. There are no other costs associated with this program. At the completion of these texts a student should have no trouble completing calculus-based physics at the most rigorous college or university, and will be well on their way to a prosperous career in the hard sciences or engineering.

Find out more about this ongoing project at www.newtonianthinkers.com , and please e-mail me directly if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Local Events, Services, Commercial Products All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: