Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questionnaire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcella
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: questionnaire Reply with quote

Dear homeschooling parents and children ,

I am a girl from Germany and I do a school report about homeschooling.
Three years ago I was in Geneva as an Au Pair in a family doing homeschooling. So I got very interested in this subject.

To get information about homeschooling I made a questionnaire for parents and children.
I hope you help me by filling out this questionnaire for me. If you want I can send you my school report when it´s finished. It´s in English…!

I would be very happy to hear from you and your children!

Marcella Bernzott

Questionnaire for parents:

1. How old are you?

2. Where do you come from?

3. What means homeschooling for you?

4. What were your concerns to start homeschooling wit your child or children?

5. How do you think people learn best?

6. Did you prepare your self before starting homeschooling? How was the way of doing?

7. Did you have any problems with government?

8. Do you spent a lot of money for homeschooling?

9. What was the reaction of your family and friend when you stated to homeschool?

10. Do you teach your children your self and alone?

11. Do you join/belong to a homeschooling- group? How often you meet?

12. Were do your children have contact with other kids?

13. What do your children at home when they learn? (science, English, foreign languages, ….)

14. Do you have a daily plan what they have to do?

15. How do you think your childs future will look like?

Questionnaire for children?

1. How old are you?

3. How long do you have school at home?

4. Did you go to school before or did you have school at home from the beginning?

5. What is your favourite subject?

6. What do you want to do when you have finished with education?

7. Do you have friends who are also homeschoolers?

8. What means homeschooling for you?

9. Do you like it?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: questionnaire Reply with quote

1. How old are you? 28

2. Where do you come from? Massachusetts USA

3. What means homeschooling for you? Able to spend time with my children and get to know them better. Train them so that when they go out into the world they can handle it and be successful adults.

4. What were your concerns to start homeschooling wit your child or children? Getting time to myself.

5. How do you think people learn best? Everyone was created differently and so they learn differently, but one-on-one is great because you can adjust the lesson to the child.

6. Did you prepare your self before starting homeschooling? How was the way of doing? I make sure I have my own time every morning before they get up so I can pray and have some quiet before the day starts.

7. Did you have any problems with government? Everyone was very helpful.

8. Do you spent a lot of money for homeschooling? about $150 a year in US money.

9. What was the reaction of your family and friend when you stated to homeschool? Some thought I was crazy others were proud of me.

10. Do you teach your children your self and alone? myself.

11. Do you join/belong to a homeschooling- group? How often you meet? We meet once a week for excersise time and about once a month for a field trip.

12. Were do your children have contact with other kids? baseball, free time at the gym, field trips, boyscouts, church...

13. What do your children at home when they learn? (science, English, foreign languages, ….) English, math, science, bible, history, money management, people skills.

14. Do you have a daily plan what they have to do? not really, more of a general guideline of what we need to occomplish.

15. How do you think your childs future will look like? up to them, I just want them to be able to be successful adults.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
OldHomeschoolMom
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. How old are you?
I don't give my age. My son is now 25 years old and has been out of school for 7 years so my answers are from a time when homeschooling was not as popular or accepted as it is now.

We started homeschooling in Missouri, then moved to Oklahoma.

My child got a better education and learned that he can have friends of all ages, not only those of his age. He could learn at his own speed, not being slowed down or rushed in a class full of students that learned at a different speed than he did.

The information in the public school books was not what I wanted my son to learn.

Everyone learns their own way. Some learn by hearing, some by seeing, and some by hands on experience, and some with a combination of many ways.

6. Did you prepare your self before starting homeschooling? How was the way of doing?
In the beginning I thought homeschool was public school at home. We spent many hours setting at a table studying books. It was very hard. I did not like it, my son did not like it either. The second year we relaxed and did more natural learning. I bought books for core subjects and we did a lot of "learning by experience".

Example: my son learned about the civil war by joining a reenactment unit. He learned to fire a cannon, wore a uniform and fought in a battle using an authentic rifle from the civil war (firing blanks of course). He ate the type foods they ate in the 1860's, he wore the type clothes they wore, and actually lived the way they lived when he was attending events.

Another example: He learned about WW2 by interviewing men who were in the war. They told him things that actually happened and how it effected them. He interviewed wives and learned how they lived at home with a husband away fighting in a war. He also interviewed men who had fought in WW1. Not as many interviews as there were not as many men alive from the older war. He interviewed young men in the military who have never gone to war. He learned more than the history books hold, and he made many friends doing the interviews.

Another example: My son learned math many ways other than only in books. One way was by figuring out how many square yards of carpet we needed to cover the living room floor. He also helped build a dog kennel when he was 10 years old. He figured out how much lumber was needed, how many squares of roofing was needed, etc.

No

We spent about $300. the first year. The second year we spent only $50. on books and the rest of our budget was spent for attending events, museums, etc.

9. What was the reaction of your family and friend when you stated to homeschool?
I had a friend that homeschooled so she was a major help to me. My friends and family were against it. They told me I would cause him to fall behind in his education. They worried about his social skills. They tried to talk me out of homeschooling him.

Yes, I taught one child alone.

We joined a homeschool group that met once a month. We attended a few meetings that included a field trip to a fire dept. and a swimming party. We didn't feel comfortable with the group and quit going to meetings.

We lived in town so my son had the same friends he grew up with. They played together every evening after school and on weekends.

13. What do your children at home when they learn? (science, English, foreign languages, ….) We did all the core subjects and several electives. The core subjects were mostly book work at the table, the electives were usually activities. Sometimes core subjects were activities such as the historic interviews I wrote about above, visits to museums, etc.

I did not use a daily plan. I let my son choose what subjects he wanted to work on and what times he wanted to do them. Some days he would do only math and get a week or two of work done in that book. Then some days he would do only English or Science. Most of our science was hands on experiments. He loved science and would usually finish his book in half a year. Then I would buy the following year book and he would work on it.

My son is very versatile. He can set in a boardroom, and he can work heavy equipment on a job. He has no limits and can do whatever he wants to do.

My son filled out the part below...

Questionnaire for children?

1. How old are you? 25

2. Where do you come from? Oklahoma

Grade 1 - 4 = public school
Grade 5 - 7 = homeschool
Grade 7 = public school second half of 7th grade
Grade 8 = homeschool
Grade 9 = public school
Grade 10 - 12 = homeschool

4. Did you go to school before or did you have school at home from the beginning? See above schedule

5. What is your favourite subject? History, english and geometry

I am studying auto body work so I can build my own auto body repair business. When the first business is paid for, I will have a manager run it so I can start more business's.

7. Do you have friends who are also homeschoolers? No

8. What means homeschooling for you? I got to have a lot of fun while I learned.

9. Do you like it? Sometimes I thought I would like to go to public school. Mom let me go when I wanted to, but I didn't like it and always went back to homeschooling. Public school was too limited. I could not learn everything I wanted to learn. They waste to much time. In class the teacher would tell us what to do and how to do it. Then when we start to do the work, a bell would ring and we had to put our books away and go to another class for another subject. Why start something and have to stop and change, why couldn't they let us finish one subject before we started another one.
kerlin
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. How old are you?

I grew up military so I have been all over the U.S.

Letting my kids learn as they go, I feel they learn better that way.

I am not very good at english, I barely know what a noun and verb are, I was worried about teaching my kids what I don't know. Now I don't worry, they teach me as much as I teach them. We have a great set of books, support from family members, and I am learning along with my kids.

On a persons own schedule. My kids learn more when I let them learn. I don't push anything on them. They ask questions and I help them find the answers.

I got some books for us to use, and a schedule of PBS shows that teach math, phonics, reading, etc. We have a schedule, but don't follow it, it is more like a guideline.

no

WAY less than I did on supplies and clothes for public school.

My mother is very supportive, others are wishing me luck but not sure I am doing the right thing.

I spend time with both my kids, so I teach them and they learn on their own.

I don't know of any groups in my area, but am currently looking for one.

All their friends from when they were in public school, dance class, beauty pageants, summer days at the creek, and just playing around in the neighborhood.

13. What do your children at home when they learn? (science, English, foreign languages, ….)

Mostly reading, writing, language arts, and math. Other than that, they learn from life and vacations (field trips).

We have one, but don't follow it.

I believe my kids will be very successful in whatever they do, they are prepairing for life in a great way and love it.
FJT
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questionnaire for children

1. How old are you?

Chile but I live in China.

I've been homeschooled for 3 years if that's what you mean.

4. Did you go to school before or did you have school at home from the beginning?
I used to go to school.

5. What is your favourite subject?
History.

Become a journalist.

7. Do you have friends who are also homeschoolers?
One.

8. What means homeschooling for you?
Being... taught at home. :S

9. Do you like it?
Some things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: