Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

California Homeschool laws?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicole333
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: California Homeschool laws? Reply with quote

I would love to be able to talk to someone about this, instead of reading the laws online. It isn't exactly straightforward. My girls are young (4 and 2), but we have been homeschooling really since they were babies. And we have no plans to put them in public school. We just moved to California from Washington. Is there anything Im supposed to do at this age? California is quite a bit more strict so what exactly do i have to do to be able to Homeschool my children here? thanks!
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you choose the option of setting up your own private school, then it looks like you don't need to do anything until they are 6 years old. Here is a quote from californiahomeschool.net:

"From the website of the California Department of Education:
Who should file a Private School Affidavit?
Persons, firms, associations, partnerships, or corporations offering or conducting full-time day school at the elementary or high school level for students between the ages of 6 and 18 years."

Here is the link:

http://californiahomeschool.net/howTo/pdf/CHNJTF2010.pdf
Nicole333
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for that link
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: California Homeschool laws? Reply with quote

Nicole333 wrote:
I would love to be able to talk to someone about this, instead of reading the laws online. It isn't exactly straightforward. My girls are young (4 and 2), but we have been homeschooling really since they were babies. And we have no plans to put them in public school. We just moved to California from Washington. Is there anything Im supposed to do at this age? California is quite a bit more strict so what exactly do i have to do to be able to Homeschool my children here? thanks!

Complusory school age is 6 by December 2. You are not obligated to do anything until the fall when your dd is 6.

I don't know how California could be more "strict" than Washington. Here is what you must do: File an affidavit annually between October 1 and 15. The end. No testing, no teacher qualifications, no minimum number of school days or hours, no nothin'.

Here is the long story:

Children in California must be enrolled in a public school or a private school, or tutored full-time by a credentialed teacher.

Private schools are unregulated by the state, other than having to file the affidavit annually.

Most homeschoolers file their own affidavits. The affidavit doesn't include children's names, only how many children in each grade.

There are some private schools which only enroll homeschooled children. The administrators of those schools file the affidavit (and come up with their own requirements). Homeschoolers enroll their dc in those schools instead of filing their own affidavits. Those private schools are referred to as Private School Satellite Programs. It is not necessary to enroll with a PSP; it isn't more legal or anything. Mainly it just makes you anonymous (because you don't file an affidavit with only 1 or 2 children, which clearly shows that you're a homeschooler), and some homeschoolers want to be anonymous.

In the past some counties were more hostile to homeschoolers, so enrolling the dc in a PSP was useful. However, there was a court case a few years ago which decided that it was legal for parents to file their own affidavits and teach their children at home.

So the short story is this: file an affidavit between October 1 and 15. The end.

Or enroll in a PSP if you think it offers services you want.

That is all. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
homeschoolcupcake
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hscoach wrote:
If you choose the option of setting up your own private school, then it looks like you don't need to do anything until they are 6 years old. Here is a quote from californiahomeschool.net:

"From the website of the California Department of Education:
Who should file a Private School Affidavit?
Persons, firms, associations, partnerships, or corporations offering or conducting full-time day school at the elementary or high school level for students between the ages of 6 and 18 years."

Here is the link:

http://californiahomeschool.net/howTo/pdf/CHNJTF2010.pdf

Thank you for the link!!!! I have been home schooling my kids with my own little preschool and a relative told me that I don't have to register myself as a school until my oldest is 6, but this link gives so much information that I can get my paperwork in order ahead of time. I love this!!! Thank you so much! You Rock! Very Happy
margaretdavid
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: homeschoolcupcake Reply with quote

California will provide a world-class education
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: