Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My mom ruined me, help me get on track!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indysch
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: My mom ruined me, help me get on track! Reply with quote

Okay, here's the situation. Im 20 years old. I was home schooled by my mother, who had no idea what she was doing. She didn't want me in school, so she kept me home, but didn't really educate me. She taught me to read, that's about it. Fortunately I had a strong drive to learn and I read a lot and taught myself things. But I didn't have anything close to a normal education. She also was strongly against college, so I was never taught how to prep for it or given any guidance in selecting a career. And as an addition hindrance, I wasn't properly socialized growing up, so I have terrible anxiety and I don't really know how to interact with people. I know, my life's a mess.

Now that you have some background, here's my question: How do I overcome this and get into college? Where do I start? Should I get a GED or am I young enough to enroll and do senior year of high school and get a diploma? Is that even a possibility? I'm so overwhelmed. Can someone show me one step at a time how to get my life on track? Am I a lost cause, or do you think I have a chance at making something of myself?

Thank you so much for your help!

Indigo

Oh, I should add that I live in Wisconsin. Which means it's very easy to say you're home schooling your kid. The state never checks up on you, you're never tested, you don't have to prove anything or follow a curriculum. You could literally teach your child nothing and there would be no consequences. Which is basically what happened to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: