Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A big concern if I go through with homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pamom1980
User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: A big concern if I go through with homeschooling Reply with quote

We are seriously considering the idea of homeschooling at least 1 if not all 3 of our children. BUT, my mother did point out to me to really think it through because if we did go through with it, I would not get any type of break from the kids. While I do love them with all my heart, I do like getting the break from them when they go to school.

What do you all do in this type of situation? Isn't it stressful having the kids home 24/7?
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have some breaks from them if you sign them up for some homeschool co-op classes, sports, or other types of classes or activities. Most homeschoolers participate in extracurricular activities at least once or twice a week. Also, maybe your mom could offer to keep your kids if you feel stressed and need a break. Smile

Yes, sometimes it is hard to be with your kids all the time..........but I have to say that I honestly love it! I would not trade it for anything in the world. We enjoy being together. We are very close to each other.

Here is how I've always looked at it -- My kids will be with me for a short time. It will go by so quickly. Then they will be grown and gone. Then I won't have the pitter- patter of little feet in my house anymore. I won't hear the constant talking and laughter. My house will be quiet........very quiet........and I will have all the time in the world to myself - to do whatever I want.

So for now............I want to be with my kids. I enjoy it. Yes, some days are harder than others, but I think that's true with all jobs.

I have 4 children and we've been homeschooling 12 years. Ages 18, 16, 10 and 4. (Since I have a 4 year old, I will be homeschooling for another 13 years or so and I don't mind at all.) My oldest son is graduating next month and I can tell you that the time has flown by. I don't have any regrets. I'm so glad for the time I was able to spend with him!
pamom1980
User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I was so excited about it last night and then I read my mom's response to us wanting to homeschool the kids and she's what got me doubting things. I know that there are going to be plenty of tough days or days when I really just want to be on my own. But with all the problems we've had with my two oldest in school-- I know that this is the right decision.

I will research the heck out of all of this before the next school year begins, but like everything else in my life--I always tend to overanalyze things and worry about everything until I'm further into it and realize that things are much easier than I thought... Smile

Thank you for the support and the advice.. If millions of other families can homeschool successfully, so can we. Smile
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

You are right - the more research you do, the more confident you will feel. There will always be people who try to make you doubt your decision, but I think as a mother, you have intuition -- and you know what is right for your kids.

Best wishes as you begin your homeschooling journey!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: A big concern if I go through with homeschooling Reply with quote

pamom1980 wrote:
We are seriously considering the idea of homeschooling at least 1 if not all 3 of our children. BUT, my mother did point out to me to really think it through because if we did go through with it, I would not get any type of break from the kids. While I do love them with all my heart, I do like getting the break from them when they go to school.

That's why God invented early bedtimes. Laughing

And there are things like Sunday school classes or children's church, yes? And sometimes the little darlings go off on their own and play by themselves. And you can go grocery shopping alone. And you know what? You like getting a "break" from them because you're used to it, and y'all aren't used to being together all the time, so the personal dynamics are different. It will take several months for you to develop your new relationships with each other when they're home all the time. Historically, as in the whole history of the world, the concept of children being sent away from their parents upwards of six hours a day 9 months out of the year for 12 years is a very recent development. It isn't natural.

Quote:
What do you all do in this type of situation? Isn't it stressful having the kids home 24/7?

I thought it might be, too, when I started hsing in 1982, but the longer we homeschooled, the less I felt the need to be away from them, the more I enjoyed their company. I did go grocery shopping alone, and I took a dance class in the evenings when Mr. Elliemaejune was home, but really, I found that I didn't need as much time without the children as I had imagined. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Munchie33
User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people, when they find out that I homeschool, say things like "wow! I could never be around my kids that much!" which begs the question (never voiced, though), of why they had kids at all? It's the most wonderful part of their lives, and the last thing you want to do is miss it if you don't have to.

On a weekend, you aren't with your kids 24/7, so why would it be different during the week? They learn to play and entertain themselves. And one of the benefits is that most of the notoriously bad behaviours that you might be worries about are picked up from other kids at school. If you homeschool, then you almost certainly won't have to deal with these things.

As they get older, you'll be able to give them more and more independent work. You don't have to (and shouldn't!) hold their hand the entire way. And because you homeschool them, you can make sure their behaviour is up to scratch. If you don't want them to have screaming fights with each other, then you can enforce that much more easily than if you ship them off to school for 8 hours a day, where they can undo all your good discipline efforts.

In short: with the same effort, their behaviour will be better than their public schooled counterparts (statistically, this is heavily backed up). And of course you get breaks. After an hour or two of homeschooling you can send them to read a book or do homework while you do your own thing for a while. Unless you are already spending every second they are home right next to them, there is no reason to think otherwise.

Good luck with your homeschooling journey!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: