Is it ok to send my 2 1/2 yo to a class?

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

cewing
User

Is it ok to send my 2 1/2 yo to a class?

Postby cewing » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:44 pm

I have a 2 1/2 yo and 6 mon old right now. My husband and I are seriously considering homeschooling and will probably go that way. We're still in the learning process. I was just wondering if it goes against the homeschooling philosophy to send our 2 1/2 yo to a class once or twice a week for about an hour each time? Honestly, we don't have any family around and I NEED a break right now and figured he would enjoy it as well. HELP!

danielle82
User

Re: Is it ok to send my 2 1/2 yo to a class?

Postby danielle82 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:56 am

I think there are many "homeschooling philosophies". I sent both of my children to pre-school two days a week, 2 hours a session before I started homeschooling kindergarten. My homeschooling philosophy is to do what works well for my family. So if you want to send your child to a class a couple days a week, and it feels right to you, my philosophy says to do it

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:23 am

It probably won't hurt, just probably won't help a huge amount either from an educational perspective. Sounds more like you're looking for daycare than education per se.

Momma24
User

Postby Momma24 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:48 pm

I agree with Theodore with the thought that maybe you are just needing a baby sitter. I was the teacher of a 3 yr old Kindergarten class right out of high school, and although the children did learn the colors, shapes, a few numbers and letters, I don't think that I was anything other than a glorified baby sitter/ good influence! :wink:
Homeschooling four
with the help of Mom SCHOOL
and staying healthy with Mom FITNESS!

brookeh9
User

Postby brookeh9 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:17 am

I think starting your child earlier is better. It gives them a headstart and makes the learning more natural. There are a lot of philosophies that believe that waiting until a child turns 5 is too late. You will want to look at different development philosophies for children at this age to see how it will impact them.

dorothymiles123
User

Home schooling

Postby dorothymiles123 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 am

I think having your child go home schooling at her age is fine if you see that it is on her ability as sometimes there are kids who just want to play and play.

Dorothy Miles
Home School
www.home-school.com/

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”