Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Veritas History Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mommywhite
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Veritas History Help Reply with quote

I am one third of the way into the first year of the Veritas Press History curriculum. I absolutely LOVE the concept. The execution is what's killing me. Rolling Eyes We're doing great with the memory song, doing the age-appropriate projects, and generally learning the most important facts. The main problem is the tests. They started out alright, but as we continue, they are getting longer and longer and have become a huge drag. My boys are 6 and almost 8. My daughter is 4 and she listens in. Is it alright to do the tests orally? The manual suggests that children should be able to do them in writing by the sixth week, but it's not working for our family. Additionally, there is an abundance of supplemental material, but we don't have the time to read (or money to buy) all of the recommended books and do all of the suggested activities. Am I "cheating" by just doing the basics? I'd appreciate any input on how you implement the program or on the topic of customizing curriculum. Thanks so much!!
...whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Cor. 10:31
Besthomeschoolbuys
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Do the tests orally - Supplements are not necessary Reply with quote

I can identify with the problems you are having with the lengthy tests. I have four boys and I often had to adjust curriculum demands to fit their way of learning. My advice is BY ALL MEANS do the tests orally if they are a huge drag on you and the kids. You don't want to kill their desire to learn and enjoyment of homeschool with written tests. Test taking skills are not necessary at their ages. When they are older, it will be easier for them.

Curriculum writers always give you more material and suggestions for supplements than you can do. The reason is that there are occasional families that have students that are hungry for more and the supplements give parents a guide for ideas. You can over-do school to the point that it kills the enjoyment. You have to fine a happy medium. Children learn from real life experiences, too. If you overdo school, you will under-do the experiences they need with free play, going places, learning how to do chores and other work, service etc. Find the right balance. I always concentrated on the basics when my children were the ages of yours. Don't worry. My children have done find in college and after.

Remember, always adapt a curriculum to your family. Don't try to force your children into somebody else's mold. Each child and each family is unique. It will all turn out alright!

Julie Simmons
Wink
oremb
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former teacher, I couldn't agree more with the above reply. you need to adjust the style of curriculum and even the tests to fit your children. I am great at taking paper tests in history, but I was always better at giving orla feedback in subjects like science.

As with everything in true education, we are all individuals. I always tried to give struggling students an opportunity to show me they knew the material, even if they may not be able to write it out.

As a history teacher I also think there are many important side notes that you could use in your curriculum. I would suggest following the main points only, but if you know your kids are interested in a side subject (for example a kid interested in sports) than read only the extra material related to those. If you'd like I can even help find some supplemental material for you, as I am a big believe that education should be tied to our personal interests and hobbies.

http://classroomsacrossamerica.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: