Allowance and Chores

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Allowance and Chores

Postby kkapfe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 am

I was wondering how many of you give your kids allowance and what kinds of jobs you give them allowance for. Currently our girls (11, 9, and 7) do NOT get allowance for their chores. They each have 2 daily chores for the regular family living spaces (not their own bedrooms) and the chores rotate every week. I seem to have to do A LOT of reminding!!

My initial thought was...I don't get paid for doing your laundry so why should you get paid for cleaning the bathroom. I know, I know...probably a bad attitude on my part.

During the school year last year when they went to private school they did not have chores because they were in school all day and then had a ton of homework. This year, if we decide to homeschool again, I am deciding what to do about the chores. I want to give some incentive to getting schoolwork and chores done.

Thoughts?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:12 am

Schoolwork shouldn't get cash rewards, imho, though you could tie completion to computer time. Chores definitely should get cash rewards, with the amount of money tied to the quality of the job (sloppy job, no pay). It's a good way to teach your kids the value of money and increase motivation to get the chores done. I'm afraid that you as the parent aren't rewarded for doing chores, but that's beside the point.

// Did tons of chores when I was a kid. Not fun, but it did allow me to buy things - toys, craft materials, books, a computer (THAT took a lot of saving...), etc.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”