Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling when homeless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krissy_beltonMOmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling when homeless Reply with quote

Is it possible to home school while homeless? Is it legal?

My husband is looking at three months out of work, and I don't know what to do. We very seriously might be evicted and homeless

(completely live out of your car and the occasional hotel room homeless... not just live with family type of homeless...)

Am I going to be able to continue homeschooling? Is it possible??? Because we'll be homeless no matter what... so why should I detriment the kids further by putting them in public school???
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many families who "road-school" (in an RV). I don't think your situation would be very different from that, legally. You could send an e-mail or make a phone call to the Home School Legal Denfense Association to ask your question. Here is their link.

http://www.hslda.org/

And here is a link about road schooling.

http://familiesontheroad.com/
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschooling doesn't really require a physical home. This is more a question of whether child services will think you're caring sufficiently for your children, than whether you can legally teach your children out of your car. You're probably good to go on both counts.
sartasd
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband has been out of work for a year now. He has found some small side jobs, and has the unemployment check to help. He is also in the National Guard and still have that small check per month. I am disabled and on social security. We have less money and it hasn't stop us from homeschooling, we just switched to a free online schooling sources and use the local library for most of our books. Money is very tight but we are doing fine as long as we are careful.

perhaps going on the road will help local a job elsewhere, you won't have a house to hold you back.

I know of a family who went on the road, they sold their home, furniture, car, and anything that won't fit in the small RV and went on the road, the Dad did odd jobs to make money.

being out of work can be hard, My husband now is willing to take a job with less pay just to have a job. or go back to school if needed.
six
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there. Think about camp sites and look into time limits, some are 2 weeks some are 3 months! State parks and National Forests-http://freecampsites.net/attribute/states/mo/
May get you started . If it is long term you will have to think of cold weather.
Just think, even a primitive site will give you privacy for while.

Do not say you are homeless! just on the road, there is a great deal afforded to those that can afford to school while on the road . But say you are homeless and CPS will come sniffing around . HSDLA is good and they have a monthly pay plan that is reasonable considering the risk of CPS.

That said money is nice but living within your means is a lesson in itself. Be sure to not scare the kids and make it like you are camping. Use the public library and any other free source you can. It is an adventure. Do not try to make them study like they are still in school, it can be more free form.
It is hard to ask for help but you can do it and still retain grace.
I hope the best for you
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: