Trying to gain a little perspective

Since surveys keep getting posted, here is a place to put them.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

JosephSaintJean
User

Trying to gain a little perspective

Postby JosephSaintJean » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm writing a research paper on the pros and cons of home-schooling. Being a product of the public school system, I've heard nothing but bad things about home-schooling. While it is true that home-schooled children are generally more learned, I was told that they lacked the social skills of a child from public schools, and that having only two teachers meant the home-schooled child's education was likely to be biased. Instead of just taking their word for it, I've decided to ask you guys what you think about this.

Have you entered a social setting outside of the home? How did you fare?

Have you been exposed to a variety of different viewpoints when introduced to subjective topics?

For those of you who have advanced to college, how are your grades and how difficult is the material?

Thanks for your time.

naturalist4
User

Re: Trying to gain a little perspective

Postby naturalist4 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:55 pm

"Lay down true principles and adhere to them inflexibly. Do not be frightened into their surrender."
~Thomas Jefferson

alliecatse
User

re: Trying to gain a little perspective

Postby alliecatse » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 pm

I know it is probably too late for your paper, but as a former homeschooler I felt compelled to answer, and I hope you still find it interesting. I have trouble resisting the urge to put my two cents in when a topic like this comes up.

I was homeschooled from first grade through high school. I was in a homeschool charter school program until 8th grade. I was quite socialized. I took dance classes, played violin in a youth orchestra, was an active member of homeschool groups (we met at a park every week, and would often have playdates on other days). I never found it that hard to make friends in these groups.

It is definitely true that my education on controversial topics was biased, but I certainly encountered various viewpoints when discussing things with friends and family. I believe that I would most likely have grown up with the same values and biased opinions that I have now. I would have still been exposed to my parents views, even if I had been in a regular classroom setting. During high school I took a few classes at community college, which definitely expanded my worldview, and probably exposed me to an even wider range of viewpoints than I would have gotten in a classroom composed entirely of my peers.

I am in college now, and I am in the top quarter of my class. I have found that the material can be difficult at times, but it doesn't seem to be any harder for me than it is for my friends who went to a regular high school.

Return to “Homeschool Surveys”