Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What fits my criteria?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: What fits my criteria? Reply with quote

Short history background...We were a homeschooling family until last year when my 3 girls went to a private Christian school. I went back to work part time to a job that I LOVE. They did really well academically and socially in private school. They have friends that they still connect with even though it's summer. My paycheck went completely to tuition. Being able to go to work and have a mental vacation from homeschooling was worth handing over every cent I made to the school. However, my husband is in the middle of a great job transition. His new position will mean that he will work from home. In theory I could keep my part time job and he could stay home with the girls this fall. In my mind I could have the best of both worlds because I could still have my part time job for my mental sanity and I could homeschool my girls again which I miss doing terribly. We haven't made the final decision (haven't even discussed it with the girls) because I'm still praying about what to do. I don't want to "change their lives" every school year. I want consistency. What I am doing right now is researching our options, in other words, what curriculum would I want, how much would it cost, and is it doable on a shorter schedule. We will make a decision in a few weeks.

Here's my criteria...
1) Doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
2) Mixture of independent (each girl on their own) and studying together (science and history).
3) Possible to complete in 4-5 hours a day, tops. (I would work probably 7:30a-noon everyday so we would do "school" after lunch.)

I know that I like apologia science and am looking at TruthQuest history. I like a good "spine" so that we can add to it if we want to but have enough with it all by itself. I've looked at Teaching Textbooks for math because I like the idea of them being able to do math on their own while I'm still at work. I'm not sold on the price though. I need some help with Language Arts. I would love something all-inclusive so I wouldn't need something separate for grammar and writing and reading comp. I would love a spelling curriculum that was NOT based on mastering a list and then testing on Friday. I am a scheduler and if we miss a day, it throws off the Friday test and then I get frustrated. Any help would be great! We've been pretty eclectic in years past from using textbooks to me creating our own using classic out of print books to notebooking. I'm open to any style. (I'm looking at 6th grade, 4th grade, and 2nd grade.)
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you might want to try this out: go to

http://www.homeedexpert.com/

This is a free service. You register. Then check your e-mail and click on the link to confirm your registration. On the site, click on "Home Ed Expert" and answer all the questions. Then it will provide curriculum recommendations for you. You do not have to buy your curriculum on the site - you could just get some ideas.

You can choose "Comprehensive Language Arts" as a subject recommendation, so that might be particularly helpful for you.

We like Teaching Textbooks. You might want to consider buying it used online or from a used curriculum sale in your area. Also, remember it will be handed down. (except for youngest child)
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What fits my criteria? Reply with quote

kkapfe wrote:
Short history background...We were a homeschooling family until last year when my 3 girls went to a private Christian school. I went back to work part time to a job that I LOVE. They did really well academically and socially in private school. They have friends that they still connect with even though it's summer. My paycheck went completely to tuition. Being able to go to work and have a mental vacation from homeschooling was worth handing over every cent I made to the school. However, my husband is in the middle of a great job transition. His new position will mean that he will work from home. In theory I could keep my part time job and he could stay home with the girls this fall. In my mind I could have the best of both worlds because I could still have my part time job for my mental sanity and I could homeschool my girls again which I miss doing terribly. We haven't made the final decision (haven't even discussed it with the girls) because I'm still praying about what to do. I don't want to "change their lives" every school year. I want consistency. What I am doing right now is researching our options, in other words, what curriculum would I want, how much would it cost, and is it doable on a shorter schedule. We will make a decision in a few weeks.

Here's my criteria...
1) Doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
2) Mixture of independent (each girl on their own) and studying together (science and history).
3) Possible to complete in 4-5 hours a day, tops. (I would work probably 7:30a-noon everyday so we would do "school" after lunch.)

I know that I like apologia science and am looking at TruthQuest history. I like a good "spine" so that we can add to it if we want to but have enough with it all by itself. I've looked at Teaching Textbooks for math because I like the idea of them being able to do math on their own while I'm still at work. I'm not sold on the price though. I need some help with Language Arts. I would love something all-inclusive so I wouldn't need something separate for grammar and writing and reading comp. I would love a spelling curriculum that was NOT based on mastering a list and then testing on Friday. I am a scheduler and if we miss a day, it throws off the Friday test and then I get frustrated. Any help would be great! We've been pretty eclectic in years past from using textbooks to me creating our own using classic out of print books to notebooking. I'm open to any style. (I'm looking at 6th grade, 4th grade, and 2nd grade.)

You could use Learning Language Arts Through Literature. It's everything in one fell swoop. Or Total Language Plus.

You could also consider Beautiful Feet Books for history, and Considering God's Creation for science.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: