Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help-problems with w/drawling student from public sch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erika Wright
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Please Help-problems with w/drawling student from public sch Reply with quote

I gave notification for with-drawl for my 1st grader from ps. They are demanding that I fill out an exit form and they want a copy of my registration with the state. State laws states I need not due more then just give notice by phone or letter. And I do not have to explain further to them. I told them this, and they said I should just fill it out there is no problems. My HSLDA membership is not complete (still under review).

Anyone have thoughts on this, this is what I was afraid of! I see them tomorrow. I am curious if they are looking for a problem. I have heard they are hard to with drawl from.
Thanks,
Erika
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, why do you not want to fill out their paper work?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone tap dancing all over my rights either.

If you don't want to do it AND you don't have to legally, I say don't do it.

You can be as nice or as rude as you want to about the situation, but it's usually best to just state facts and leave it at that.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them a copy of the law and tell them that if they harass you any further you will take action.

Don't fill out the paperwork. You don't need to and all you will be doing is setting a precedent for everyone else having to. Be firm, be polite, and continue to respond with the law/filing harassment charges.
mommyto2gr8ones
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to help you here since you live in a different state but I did take my "paper" from the state up to the school when I took my child out. That is for thier records. I'm wondering, what kind of stuff does the form want from you??
And Furbaby CopyCat~7/03
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me"~Phillipians 4:13
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss_Kristy wrote:
Just curious, why do you not want to fill out their paper work?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone tap dancing all over my rights either.

If you don't want to do it AND you don't have to legally, I say don't do it.

You can be as nice or as rude as you want to about the situation, but it's usually best to just state facts and leave it at that.

The rule of thumb is that you never do anything not required by law.

*I* would have advised you not to withdraw your dc until you had your HSLDA approval; nevertheless, although it is recommended that you inform the school that you are withdrawing your dc, it is *not* recommended that you fill out any sort of form which implies that you must notify the school that you're going to homeschool.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Erika Wright
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was afraid I was making a big deal over nothing. I just had that gut feeling it was not a good idea.

I called HSLDA first thing this morning and was blessed with wonderful news: my application was already approved! I was able to speak with a legal assistant from Kansas. He put me at ease, he to said "less is better" and "there is a time to drawl a line in the sand. So why not start right away." Already they are worth every cent spent on them!

I went to the school and was able to enjoy both my sons Christmas parties. And I visited with his teacher, very nice lady. She said she understood. She is 1 teacher to 20 students, and that my dc does much better one on one! That felt good to hear.

The office was chilly but friendly. I signed a paper saying I was pulling him out and that I was paid in full for everything. I declined to fill out the other forms, they sent them home with me anyway to read over.

The next obstacle I have is my son had a IEP for speech. They (school) want me to bring him in twice a week for twenty minutes. HSLDA advices against it. I will be looking into an outsource speech therapist. Any recommendations!

Thank you for all the advice, it is wonderful to have a way of contact with those that are experienced!
Blessings,
Erika
mommyto2gr8ones
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad everything worked out for you!! I hope you find a good speech therapist. Many blessings!!
And Furbaby CopyCat~7/03
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me"~Phillipians 4:13
Miss_Kristy
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son was in speech class as well. They offered me the same deal. Bring him in once a week - I said "no".

I don't know your situation, but I always felt that my son didn't even need to be in speech class in the first place. I just went along with them putting him in there because I figured " well they know what's best". Turns out, they don't.

My son spent a year in speech because he had a "Yankee" accent. We moved here ( Arkansas ) from Pennsylvania when he was 4 and the teachers had trouble understanding some of the things he said - or said that he wasn't saying them "right" Rolling Eyes

There are some good books out there on speech therapy. I'd say do some reading on the subject and give it a try yourself.
rhi
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my charter school had me tell our ps the very last day of school that my kids would not be returning. It went over fine, except I found out they still forwarded my oldest dd to our local middle school. But that was eventually dropped and it was fine.

Good luck with everything!
Sasha
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our sons takes speech. I am blessed to have a hospital close to home that also has a fantastic rehabilitation center. Most hospitals will have a Speech and Occupational Therapy department. Call your local hospital and just ask the receptionist to transfer you to the speech and O.T. department. I don't know what it will be like were you live but we had to be recommended to Speech and O.T. through our dc's pediatrician. So maybe just go ahead and schedule a physical or if he was already receiving speech at school maybe your pediatrician would be willing to go ahead and send over a referral for you? I agree with the other posters that sending him to the school therapist would be a very bad idea. My son only goes once a week because it is assumed, rightly so, that I will spend time working with him every day in the home in place of a therapist. The weekly visits is to check on progress and get new learning material for me.
Best of luck, you are doing the right thing, when it gets tough it sometimes helps to chant that like a mantra. Laughing
Sasha
evvaberry
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Homeschool Law Reply with quote

I called HSLDA first thing this morning and was blessed with wonderful news: my application was already approved! I was able to speak with a legal assistant from Kansas. He put me at ease, he to said "less is better" and "there is a time to drawl a line in the sand. So why not start right away." Already they are worth every cent spent on them!

I went to the school and was able to enjoy both my sons Christmas parties. And I visited with his teacher, very nice lady. She said she understood. She is 1 teacher to 20 students, and that my dc does much better one on one! That felt good to hear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: