Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New from Colorado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael T
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: New from Colorado Reply with quote

Hi my name is Michael and I am from Colorado Springs. I am going to homeschool my little girl Sydney and hope that my time hear will answer a lot of the tough questions I will most certainly have.

Sydney is only 22 months old but I figured I need the head start. Smile

I have been a graphic designer and art director for 14 years now.

If you need any info in that area just let me know. I would be happy to help.
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, I have a question about art. We have just about decided to homeschool starting in the fall. My 6 year old is very artistic; creating all kinds of pictures for us. He paints; uses markers, crayons, and colored pencils. He has an art set which he is using all of the time. Once he is being homeschooled, what would be the best way to teach him art, not really having a background in it myself? Thanks!
Michael T
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: have fun Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a six year old that is a budding artist and I have many fun things for him to do. Early on when he was 3 years old I had him drawing basic shapes, then as he got better I had him use those basic shapes to construct more complex drawings. He also draws from life. He will sit at the kitchen table and take 3-4 common household items and set them up and draw them. The most important thing to remember is to edify and challenge. I tell him he is doing a great job then I ask him if he thinks it can look better. He always says yes, so he is willing to do the most important thing; improve through repetition. He will do the same drawing at least 4 times until he is satisfied.

We also have a 4 foot by 8 foot dry erase board in the living room mounted on the wall. It is low enough for the six year old and the 22 month old to draw on the board at the same time. Just have a digital camera on hand to take photos of their dry erase work. Then erase the board and fill it up again. It is a great way to save on paper.

From the first time Niki could write his name I made sure he signed and dated all of his work. He will really appreciate this later in life.

He will go from shapes, to combining those shapes into common items, to texturing and then to light and shadow. Intersperse black and white with color and solid shading with texture shading. Perspective is next and will be an adventure for your child. Once they get perspective their creativity really takes on new dimensions. He loves to watch Bob Ross.

Explain to your child how much art it takes to build a community; from construction, to building a chair to the art on the cereal box etc...

Make the connection between Math, Science, ergonomics etc...

Have fun, but be willing to get your child to try new things.

The computer is just another brush or pencil. When your child takes to the computer and drawing programs go back through all of the basic drawing techniques and have him do it with the computer mouse. It’s a lot of fun.

I plan to teach Niki Photoshop by the time he is 7-8 years old.

I hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: