accelerated reader type program for home?

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mamaholly
User

accelerated reader type program for home?

Postby mamaholly » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:39 am

I'd like to find a large list of books that are rated according to level. Maybe something like AR with little comprehension questions at the end. We already are reading "I can read books" and another line (can't remember what it is called now). Basically we are using any easy reader material we can get our hands on. I think he would be motivated by something like AR and see his own progress in numbers.

Lacking that, maybe there is an online place to determine reading level from time to time. This really isn't necessary. I'm just curious and thought it might help streamline our book selection and possibly encourage my lagging but catching up reader.

Any thoughts?
Mom to John (8yo) and Hanna (19mo)

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:18 am

mamholly,
Usually the library has a list of AR books available.

Check out the book Books Children Love by Elizabeth Wilson. Books are arranged by subject, then author, title, publisher info,grade level recommendation, and summary. It's an excellent resource to own.

I also like Sonlight. Even if you just look at their book list online or on their catalog, they are good books.

Best wishes.
Jill

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:39 am

There's www.bookadventure.com by Sylvan. It's sort of like AR - it gives the book level, has quizzes..
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

mamaholly
User

Postby mamaholly » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:44 am

Thank you Lily! I discovered bookadventure right after posting this. DS is very motivated by it. He was able to take some quizzes on a few books he's already read. It seems just like AR.

I will also check out the other suggestion, thank you, Jill.
Mom to John (8yo) and Hanna (19mo)

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”