Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Surveys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you "out for summer?"
Yes!
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
No.
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
We school year-round.
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 16

ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Summer? Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering how other folks schedule their school year.
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're out for the summer. I have high hopes of getting lots of summer enrichment accomplished. Definitely lots of reading.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually we do year round, but moving + summer camp means we're 'out' for summer......sort of. More relaxed, I guess? Learning is still happening, but the books have been put away for a while!
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are done with our formal school year. However, we do school year-round and do a few unit studies over the summer, plus a little math and reading. We are studying about the election right now. It's very interesting!

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Our formal school year is winding down, but my daughter reads all the time about everything. Sometimes a good book goes a long way.

Sheila
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go year-round, for the most part.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just changed things around a bit for the summer. This is the time for all the things we didn't have much time for in the regular school year, the fun art projects, and history projects, and of course all the fun science.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our formal school year ended in May. This summer we are focusing on Reading and Math. Both kids are ahead in Math so I shouldn't push too hard, but I don't want them to forget everything they have learned. We are a bit behind on Reading so we are hoping to be on track by August.

We do a lot of outdoor activities including Hiking and various Park programs. We may study some topics that come up in our journeys, things that interest the kids. I heard a child talking a lot about Egypt this morning during their play time so we may talk about Egypt a bit next week after I hit the library.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, technically, i'm not sure if we're out for summer or not. ha! we finished our abeka prek the end of may and have been involved in our library's summer reading program since beginning of june. i've kind of been taking some time to figure our kindergarten curriculum out. for example, i'm wanting to go the charlotte mason route b/c it fits my child's learning style SOOOO much better than abeka did. and so i'm doing lots of research into CM and other things. we've been pretty busy camping, reading, researching, etc. our next family camping trip is coming up this weekend for the july 4 weekend. so, hopefully we'll get started back mid july.

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......
BarbaraH
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick as close as I can to the same schedule that public schools in my area keep. It makes it easier for my son because several of his friends are in public schools and he had been in public schools for a few years too. We do work through some of the days they have off, and take off some days they don't though, to coordinate with my husband's vacation schedule. We do take off time for summer though. Ended in early June this year and will be starting back up again August 18th.
ontheprairie
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are out for the summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Surveys All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: