Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Army Homeschoolers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mom2anangel
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Army Homeschoolers Reply with quote

Hi! I'm just starting out with homeschooling research. My DD is 2 1/2 and I'm a planner. My DH is in the Army and has 13 years left, so we will be moving every 2-4 years until 2021. I had a few questions for military veteran homeschooling families. I just wonder how the military family insures that all requirements are met no matter what state/ country you may be in. I want to know as much as I can about what I'm getting myself into before I start. Do military families have to do more documentation? What happens if you move in the middle of the year and don't meet the new states requirements? Who do you report to if you are in a foreign country? How do you find the support you need in the midst of constantly moving? Question Question Question
tash
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but maybe this will help someone.....

whenever I move to a new place I go to google and do a bunch of searches. Search for the name of the place and the thing that interests you. Then go to yahoo groups and search for groups that interest you.
Example: base name home school

also use the name of the closest town and the closet large town instead of the base name. So for fort drum you would search:
Fort Drum home school
Watertown home school
Syracuse home school

However in this example Syracuse is a bit of a drive. Doing a quick search I did find a Facebook page for a Fort Drum homeschooling group.

Also, especially with younger children, search for the base name and the word playgroup, and the words natural parenting. Also remember that other local chapters of groups may have connections to homeschoolers in the area. Groups to check would include LLL, BWI, API, and others.

You can also go to military and/or homeschooling forums (such as this one) and ask if anyone knows of a good group near the base where you are moving. For example: I know if you ever move to Fort Bliss there is a wonderful group on yahoo groups. When I was there they did all kinds of activities for all ages.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WEHST/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homeschool_elpaso/

Once you have found a group you can ask about the local info before you even move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: