Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you do this in Arkansas?? and Co-op tips??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hmschooling
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Can you do this in Arkansas?? and Co-op tips?? Reply with quote

I THINK a new law in AR just passed to be effective this new school year stating that parents no longer have to be the primary teacher for their home schooled child...

I'd eventually like to open a low-tuition Christian private school for parents that want to homeschool but aren't able to for one reason or another. Either as a 5 days per week with high parental involvement or 3 days per week and home instruction for 2 (somewhat like the University Model Schools).

My question is pertaining to co-ops with a twist. Since it takes SO MUCH to open a private school and I just don't have the money or time or experience to do that now, could parents file as home schoolers and let a 5 day per/wk. co-op do the teaching? I have a curriculum plan all in place already as well as basic lesson plans for K-12-- it follows a Classical/CM approach. My target would be Christian families where both parents have to work or single parent families or even families with parents that are students or just homeschool families that are feeling burned out and need a change, but can't afford typical private school and won't do public school.

Is this a legal option in Arkansas? If so, can someone offer some tips on how to get a co-op like this started? With a co-op, can I be selective in who I let in? Is this something you'd be interested in if you were in a situation mentioned above? How would I base the membership/tuition fee? What kind of parent involvement would be expected in a co-op and how should that expectation change in a co-op like this one? Any other advice??

TIA for your help!!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you do this in Arkansas?? and Co-op tips?? Reply with quote

hmschooling wrote:
I THINK a new law in AR just passed to be effective this new school year stating that parents no longer have to be the primary teacher for their home schooled child...

I'd eventually like to open a low-tuition Christian private school for parents that want to homeschool but aren't able to for one reason or another. Either as a 5 days per week with high parental involvement or 3 days per week and home instruction for 2 (somewhat like the University Model Schools).

My question is pertaining to co-ops with a twist. Since it takes SO MUCH to open a private school and I just don't have the money or time or experience to do that now, could parents file as home schoolers and let a 5 day per/wk. co-op do the teaching? I have a curriculum plan all in place already as well as basic lesson plans for K-12-- it follows a Classical/CM approach. My target would be Christian families where both parents have to work or single parent families or even families with parents that are students or just homeschool families that are feeling burned out and need a change, but can't afford typical private school and won't do public school.

Is this a legal option in Arkansas? If so, can someone offer some tips on how to get a co-op like this started? With a co-op, can I be selective in who I let in? Is this something you'd be interested in if you were in a situation mentioned above? How would I base the membership/tuition fee? What kind of parent involvement would be expected in a co-op and how should that expectation change in a co-op like this one? Any other advice??

TIA for your help!!

I'm sure many parents would like that, but you know, it wouldn't be homeschooling. And that's not a bad thing, it just is what it is: a private school.

I don't know why it would cost so much to start such a school. All you'd need is a location; all expenses would be paid for by the tuition you'd charge, or by the parents themselves. I've done it before (in California) and it wasn't that big a deal.

Of course you can be selective. You do interviews. It's your school, after all.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can you do this in Arkansas?? and Co-op tips?? Reply with quote

hmschooling wrote:

What does "high parental involvement" involve? Will you be paying teachers? Parents that want to homeschool but can't may be receptive to a private school, but there's the cost...if it's a school, you need employees. If it's a co-op, you need parent teachers (lower cost). If you meet for 5 days, that's quite a commitment, one that a lot of homeschool families would be adverse to (it takes away from the time they can use to go on field trips, vacations, etc... 3 days is still a major commitment, and you need a commitment from parents, both verbal, in writing and financial if you're going to have enough people to make this work.

hmschooling wrote:
could parents file as home schoolers and let a 5 day per/wk. co-op do the teaching? I have a curriculum plan all in place already as well as basic lesson plans for K-12-- it follows a Classical/CM approach.

If the "co-op" did the teaching, who is going to teach? If not the parents, then you need to pay someone. Then it won't be a low-cost alternative anymore. If it's a true co-op, then you have parents taking equal share & responsibility, and you can't decide on their lesson plans or what teaching approach they should take.

hmschooling wrote:
What kind of parent involvement would be expected in a co-op and how should that expectation change in a co-op like this one?

In the co-op I'm in, parents have to either teach a class or help in a class for every class period their children are at co-op. For example, we go to 3 of the 5 class periods offered. So I help or teach in all of those. We do have a parents break room, and all parents have one class period where they go to break instead of a classroom. So I actually help/teach in 2 classes and have break during one.

If you have less parent involvement--say they all help but no one wants to teach, then you'll have to hire teachers. That'll increase your expenses. When we need to hire a teacher for co-op, it increases the cost for that class, not all of them.
ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmschooling,
That would be a private school. You may want to look at Arkansas laws on private schools. I think there are steps to follow. I tried looking it all up a few years ago.

The homeschool law as explained to me provides for private tutors and co-op teaching exchanges (say a parent of a high schooler would prefer someone else teach their child math, and they trade off to teach English to another student.) These are things that Arkansas homeschoolers have been doing for years, under a more ambiguous law. They only made it more clear.

Hope this helps.

Sheila
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: