Meeting Homeschool Music Requirements

The one place in the forum where you can freely advertise your local events, services, commercial products, etc. Let others see what you have to offer!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jessicaparnell
User

Meeting Homeschool Music Requirements

Postby jessicaparnell » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:34 am

One of the biggest questions asked by our parents is, How do I teach music to my homeschooler?

Music is another elective that must be covered every year but does not need to be a formal course. Some choose a research method; others use music lessons; and still others use their children’s involvement in music activities.

Some great suggestions:

Piano or other instrument lessons
Voice lessons
Involvement in a children’s or youth choir
Participation in a musical
Music appreciation activities (focus on an artist, his work, time period, other similar artists, etc.)
Study of a specific genre (classical, jazz, opera, etc.)
Field trips to concerts, musicals, or other music events (check out your local college or university for terrific music events)
Study of a specific instrument
Music is a wonderful tool that has been proven to impact the development of the brain. I encourage you to put some real time and effort into exposing your child to a variety of music activities before the age of nine.

According to research studies, children will have developed their capacity for music by the age of nine. This does not mean they will not progress after the age of nine, but that the foundations that have been laid by that time will define how far they will progress.

In most states, students must complete a formal music course sometime between grades 7 & 12. You can purchase a formal music course through a homeschool curriculum provider or provide formal music lessons in order to fulfill this requirement.
Jessica L. Parnell: http://jessica-parnell.com
Bridgeway Homeschool Academy: http://homeschoolacademy.com

mamaholly
User

Postby mamaholly » Fri May 30, 2008 1:57 pm

My husband plays piano and guitar and I'm quite jealous of him. This year, both my DS and I will both take instrument lessons. Hopefully I will learn enough to begin initial musical instruction with my younger child and any future children I may have.
Mom to John (8yo) and Hanna (19mo)

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:30 am

I live in an area where music is not stressed by the Public schools, Private schools, or home schoolers. I offered violin and viola lessons and tried to start a beginning orchestra. I even went to all the private schools in the area and sent notes home with the students offering these lessons. There was just no interest by anyone. I found that most people just skip over it. It isn't required in NC so they figure why bother. The people I have actually spoken with said that they didn't feel like music was important in their child's life and that taking music lessons would either not be worth the money or interrupt their child's sports schedule. I really thought this was sad!

My kids take music! I teach them music theory and violin/viola lessons. Both of them are also taking piano this year from their Grandmother. I have been blessed with a very musical family so my kids don't get a choice. They can pick a different instrument if they want but they have to learn to read music, that is my only real requirement.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Meeting Homeschool Music Requirements

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:53 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:12 pm

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:06 am

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:50 am

Geez! If only we were closer, ncmom. :(

My oldest son (12) has expressed a desire to learn violin. I know virtually nothing about strings, as I am a flautist/oboist. Maybe I'll teach him to read music first and then find your Indiana counterpart.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:58 am

737anne
User

Postby 737anne » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:12 pm

snippets
User

Music

Postby snippets » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Our state does not require music education. My DD does practice piano and violin on her own though. She wants to teach herself guitar next.
Joyfully,
Jackie
My Blogs:
www.quaintscribbles.wordpress.com
www.3dlearners.blogspot.com

My fave homeschool high school site:
www.letshomeschoolhighschool.com

mrf6w3
User

Home schooling Music lessons

Postby mrf6w3 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:22 pm

My husband and I live in St. louis, and we have been home schooling our two children. I was pretty firm in the belief that we could teach anything at home at least as well as our public school system could, and for the most part this has been true, however I have since revised that stance a little bit at least when it comes to technical arts. We made a bit of progress using a pretty well reputed video based piano learning software, but progress was extremely slow, and our oldest son didn't seem to be making much progress. I was reluctant, but my husband suggested we try piano lessons with an actual piano teacher, and after poking around we settled on Sofia Friedman at Lessons Unlimited music school. It was a night and day difference after starting with her. Both my kiddos progressed more in 3 months taking lessons with with her than they had in almost 8 months of independent study, and Sofia helped us coordinate with a few other home school families to help us all start a home school music ensemble group. I really cant say enough positive things about our St. Louis Piano Lessons experience with Sofia at Lessons Unlimited.

Return to “Local Events, Services, Commercial Products”