Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Communism in CA
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
momom
User


Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Communism in CA Reply with quote

Don't ever let anyone dog you for homeschooling again. Check this out.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=58061
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Theodore
Moderator


Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Posts: 2122
Location: Missouri, US

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

California - the land of the fruits and nuts.
_________________
Homeschool Articles - Events - Support Groups
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
4given
User


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 735
Location: S.Indiana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lily
User


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 427

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have trouble taking seriously an article that is deliberately written to be inflammatory on a site that promotes values I don't agree with.
_________________
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
abjennings
User


Joined: 29 Feb 2008
Posts: 33
Location: Blue Ridge Mountains

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily wrote:
Sorry, I have trouble taking seriously an article that is deliberately written to be inflammatory on a site that promotes values I don't agree with.

ITA!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Theodore
Moderator


Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Posts: 2122
Location: Missouri, US

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter whether you agree with the site or not, do you support the teaching of communism as a valid worldview in public schools?
_________________
Homeschool Articles - Events - Support Groups
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lily
User


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 427

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
Doesn't matter whether you agree with the site or not, do you support the teaching of communism as a valid worldview in public schools?


Of course I do. I support teaching our children about anything they may be interested in, and exploring the limits and boundaries of each and every interest and the potential benefits or drawbacks thereof. I personally believe that communism is great in theory, but the application does not mesh well with human nature at this time.

I do not agree with the sheltering or hiding of information from our children, and that goes for homeschools as well as public schools.
_________________
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Theodore
Moderator


Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Posts: 2122
Location: Missouri, US

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you steal from the successful and distribute the money to the unsuccessful, there is no motivation for hard work, therefore everyone ends up equally poor, not equally rich. The only people who come out ahead are the elite, who are perfectly happy to skim off the top while they tell everyone else what they should be thinking.

You can certainly teach about communism, but teaching communism as a valid worldview is totally retarded. Hasn't California already been screwed up enough?
_________________
Homeschool Articles - Events - Support Groups
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
4given
User


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 735
Location: S.Indiana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a mother of a retarded son, I really don't like the comparison, Theodore. Retarded is not interchangeable with stupid, ridiculous, ludicrous, moronic, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jazzy
User


Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 214

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another reason not to homeschool in CA:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23509992/
_________________
www.successful-homeschooling.com!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lily
User


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 427

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
If you steal from the successful and distribute the money to the unsuccessful, there is no motivation for hard work, therefore everyone ends up equally poor, not equally rich. The only people who come out ahead are the elite, who are perfectly happy to skim off the top while they tell everyone else what they should be thinking.

You can certainly teach about communism, but teaching communism as a valid worldview is totally retarded. Hasn't California already been screwed up enough?


You are quite welcome to your opinion, Theodore. However, you are not welcome to tell me that my point of view is "retarded". I take offense to your use of the word. It shows your lack of vocabulary skills when you attempt to use such vulgar language to attack an opinion different than your own.
_________________
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Decrease
User


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 125
Location: Verona VA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a radical different mindset in how you teach communism. To teach it from a neutral worldview is first impossible but secondly foolhardy. I am for teaching communism, but placing it in light of a worldview.

The California schools will either treat this as a neutral idea... which it is not... or a positive idea... which it is not. Neutrality is a myth developed by humanists to feel good about discounting certain worldviews without really debating them. To say you want to teach something in a neutral worldview is to be, by definition, biased towards a worldview thus not being neutral.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Theodore
Moderator


Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Posts: 2122
Location: Missouri, US

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4given wrote:
As a mother of a retarded son, I really don't like the comparison, Theodore. Retarded is not interchangeable with stupid, ridiculous, ludicrous, moronic, etc.

Actually, there is little or no difference between the definition for moron and the definition for retard.

Moron: A person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

If you eliminate that word, however, you do have a point. It was not my intention to insult the mentally challenged by comparing them to liberals or communists, and for that I apologize.

Lily wrote:
You are quite welcome to your opinion, Theodore. However, you are not welcome to tell me that my point of view is "retarded". I take offense to your use of the word. It shows your lack of vocabulary skills when you attempt to use such vulgar language to attack an opinion different than your own.

Easy to attack my wording, not so easy to explain why teaching communism to children as a valid worldview is beneficial in any way. Historically, communism has killed far more people than both world wars combined, it's about the worst thing you can do short of firing your entire nuclear stockpile into your own country.
_________________
Homeschool Articles - Events - Support Groups
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lily
User


Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 427

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:

Lily wrote:
You are quite welcome to your opinion, Theodore. However, you are not welcome to tell me that my point of view is "retarded". I take offense to your use of the word. It shows your lack of vocabulary skills when you attempt to use such vulgar language to attack an opinion different than your own.

Easy to attack my wording, not so easy to explain why teaching communism to children as a valid worldview is beneficial in any way. Historically, communism has killed far more people than both world wars combined, it's about the worst thing you can do short of firing your entire nuclear stockpile into your own country.


It's important to explore all the possibilities. Communism, as a theory, is not responsible for killing people. Communism, as a bastardized measure put into place, is. You cannot take a capitalist mind and force communism on it and expect a good outcome. Communism is a utopian idea. However, just like with democracies and republics, it should be taught and examined so that a child can think for him/herself and come to a conclusion.

Theodore, you have insulted me, as a liberal native Californian, and used vulgar language. If you can debate a point successfully without resulting to insults, please do. If you cannot, I think you would do best moderating the threads and not taking part. You certainly are not swaying anyone or sounding knowledgable when you attempt such attacks.
_________________
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Decrease
User


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 125
Location: Verona VA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily,

You seem to hold to the idea that I call the "Myth of neutrality", in other words you can teach a topic in relation to a neutral worldview. This, by its very nature, is a myth and impossible for the theory itself is not neutral. I call this the "Myth of Neutrality".

Secondly, you are right the idea of communism did not kill people but people killed people. Yet, the philosophy of communism does have a philosophical structure whereas killing people is not only allowable but necessary.

For instance, communism's philosophical root is that government is the highest authority of all. This one philosophical belief alone, I believe, leads to tyranny. If government is man's highest authority then man is a servant to government and a person has no worth except in what that person gives to government. This has been the view from "The Communist Manifesto" to China to Stalin. Thus, man becomes a slave of the state and and man's value is far less than the entity itself.

That is why people in every communist country have been tortured, killed, and the like... for to oppose the government is to oppose the highest entity possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Homeschool World Terms of Use  •  Privacy Policy  •  Copyright ©1993-Now Home Life, Inc.