Communism in CA

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momom
User

Communism in CA

Postby momom » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Don't ever let anyone dog you for homeschooling again. Check this out.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=58061

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:29 am

California - the land of the fruits and nuts.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:54 am

:shock: :x

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:59 am

Sorry, I have trouble taking seriously an article that is deliberately written to be inflammatory on a site that promotes values I don't agree with.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

abjennings
User

Postby abjennings » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:07 am

Lily wrote:Sorry, I have trouble taking seriously an article that is deliberately written to be inflammatory on a site that promotes values I don't agree with.

ITA!!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:33 pm

Doesn't matter whether you agree with the site or not, do you support the teaching of communism as a valid worldview in public schools?

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:30 pm

Theodore wrote:Doesn't matter whether you agree with the site or not, do you support the teaching of communism as a valid worldview in public schools?

Of course I do. I support teaching our children about anything they may be interested in, and exploring the limits and boundaries of each and every interest and the potential benefits or drawbacks thereof. I personally believe that communism is great in theory, but the application does not mesh well with human nature at this time.

I do not agree with the sheltering or hiding of information from our children, and that goes for homeschools as well as public schools.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:52 am

If you steal from the successful and distribute the money to the unsuccessful, there is no motivation for hard work, therefore everyone ends up equally poor, not equally rich. The only people who come out ahead are the elite, who are perfectly happy to skim off the top while they tell everyone else what they should be thinking.

You can certainly teach about communism, but teaching communism as a valid worldview is totally retarded. Hasn't California already been screwed up enough?

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:20 am

As a mother of a retarded son, I really don't like the comparison, Theodore. Retarded is not interchangeable with stupid, ridiculous, ludicrous, moronic, etc.

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:10 am

Here's another reason not to homeschool in CA:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23509992/

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 pm

Theodore wrote:If you steal from the successful and distribute the money to the unsuccessful, there is no motivation for hard work, therefore everyone ends up equally poor, not equally rich. The only people who come out ahead are the elite, who are perfectly happy to skim off the top while they tell everyone else what they should be thinking.

You can certainly teach about communism, but teaching communism as a valid worldview is totally retarded. Hasn't California already been screwed up enough?

You are quite welcome to your opinion, Theodore. However, you are not welcome to tell me that my point of view is "retarded". I take offense to your use of the word. It shows your lack of vocabulary skills when you attempt to use such vulgar language to attack an opinion different than your own.

- M. Montessori

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:31 am

There is a radical different mindset in how you teach communism. To teach it from a neutral worldview is first impossible but secondly foolhardy. I am for teaching communism, but placing it in light of a worldview.

The California schools will either treat this as a neutral idea... which it is not... or a positive idea... which it is not. Neutrality is a myth developed by humanists to feel good about discounting certain worldviews without really debating them. To say you want to teach something in a neutral worldview is to be, by definition, biased towards a worldview thus not being neutral.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 am

4given wrote:As a mother of a retarded son, I really don't like the comparison, Theodore. Retarded is not interchangeable with stupid, ridiculous, ludicrous, moronic, etc.

Actually, there is little or no difference between the definition for moron and the definition for retard.

Moron: A person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

If you eliminate that word, however, you do have a point. It was not my intention to insult the mentally challenged by comparing them to liberals or communists, and for that I apologize.

Lily wrote:You are quite welcome to your opinion, Theodore. However, you are not welcome to tell me that my point of view is "retarded". I take offense to your use of the word. It shows your lack of vocabulary skills when you attempt to use such vulgar language to attack an opinion different than your own.

Easy to attack my wording, not so easy to explain why teaching communism to children as a valid worldview is beneficial in any way. Historically, communism has killed far more people than both world wars combined, it's about the worst thing you can do short of firing your entire nuclear stockpile into your own country.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:04 am

Theodore wrote:
Lily wrote:You are quite welcome to your opinion, Theodore. However, you are not welcome to tell me that my point of view is "retarded". I take offense to your use of the word. It shows your lack of vocabulary skills when you attempt to use such vulgar language to attack an opinion different than your own.

Easy to attack my wording, not so easy to explain why teaching communism to children as a valid worldview is beneficial in any way. Historically, communism has killed far more people than both world wars combined, it's about the worst thing you can do short of firing your entire nuclear stockpile into your own country.

It's important to explore all the possibilities. Communism, as a theory, is not responsible for killing people. Communism, as a bastardized measure put into place, is. You cannot take a capitalist mind and force communism on it and expect a good outcome. Communism is a utopian idea. However, just like with democracies and republics, it should be taught and examined so that a child can think for him/herself and come to a conclusion.

Theodore, you have insulted me, as a liberal native Californian, and used vulgar language. If you can debate a point successfully without resulting to insults, please do. If you cannot, I think you would do best moderating the threads and not taking part. You certainly are not swaying anyone or sounding knowledgable when you attempt such attacks.

- M. Montessori

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:31 am

Lily,

You seem to hold to the idea that I call the "Myth of neutrality", in other words you can teach a topic in relation to a neutral worldview. This, by its very nature, is a myth and impossible for the theory itself is not neutral. I call this the "Myth of Neutrality".

Secondly, you are right the idea of communism did not kill people but people killed people. Yet, the philosophy of communism does have a philosophical structure whereas killing people is not only allowable but necessary.

For instance, communism's philosophical root is that government is the highest authority of all. This one philosophical belief alone, I believe, leads to tyranny. If government is man's highest authority then man is a servant to government and a person has no worth except in what that person gives to government. This has been the view from "The Communist Manifesto" to China to Stalin. Thus, man becomes a slave of the state and and man's value is far less than the entity itself.

That is why people in every communist country have been tortured, killed, and the like... for to oppose the government is to oppose the highest entity possible.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”