Any grandparents out there doing hs'ing??

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

batwing
User

Any grandparents out there doing hs'ing??

Postby batwing » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:07 am

The eternal God is thy refuge,and underneath are the everlasting arms.

Ramona
User

Re: Any grandparents out there doing hs'ing??

Postby Ramona » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 am

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:34 pm

I think that anything you can do will help and if for no other reason than they get one on one time with Grandma.

My MIL doesn't approve of homeschooling, but she will do fun, educational stuff with the kids when they stay there. My FIL is just a big kid himself so they build all kinds of stuff which teaches my kids all kinds of useful stuff.

Grandparent involvement is always wonderful!!
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

phiferan
User

Postby phiferan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:44 pm

[color=indigo]I read an article from the AARP magazine about the growth of grandparents homeschooling. If the hyperlink below does not work, just go to the AARP magazine and type in the search engine “homeschooling.â€

keptwoman
User

Postby keptwoman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:04 am

Sandra, Homeschooling Mum in Australia

CaithO
User

Postby CaithO » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:51 pm

My dad and stepmom take DD1 on Fridays for art and history.

Pros: time for DD1 with grandparents, gives me some free time, generally teach what I want taught how I want it taught (see cons)

Cons: I don't like losing control over exactly what's being taught and, more importantly, how it's taught (though this might not be a problem if my dad would be a bit more respectful as my role of parent and his role as grandparent), I feel I am not learning as much as I would like, which is bad since DD1's history integrates into her reading, grammar, etc.

All told, I think it's a really generous offer to make and I appreciate the help as a home schooling mom a LOT but a word of caution: be prepared to accept your role as grandparent and take and accept guidance from the children's parents.[/i]
Cate, wife of Joe and mom of
~Madeleine (7)
~Hank (4.5)
~Elisabeth (23 months)

mom21gr8girl
User

Postby mom21gr8girl » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:17 pm

jennm2203
User

Postby jennm2203 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:16 pm

My parents have my daughter in the mornings while I am at work. (I work 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
In the beginning it was a bit tough because we found we needed to discuss and communicate as far as what they were teaching or showing and how they were doing it.

Some children like a variety and to mix things up a bit... but some, like my daughter, need consistency above everything else, so we needed to all get on the same page and now it is absolutely wonderful for the entire family.

As much or as little time as possible will be a great benefit to the children, even aunts and uncles can get involved, as hoe schooling is a family thing, not just a mom and dad thing. I have found, already for us, it has brought us even closer and strengthened the wonderful family we have even more. All working together to teach the children and help guide them into wonderful adults.

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:20 pm

Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”