I want to HS my 17 year old

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

BroadwayStarlet7
User

I want to HS my 17 year old

Postby BroadwayStarlet7 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:06 pm

I have decided that I want to HS my 17 year old daughter, she only has 4 months left, but is a performer, and has to leave school a lot, and she has been having problems with her teachers, so I have decided I want to HS her. I live in New York City. I was curious if anyone knows exactly how long it will take to get my child home-schooled? I want to get her out of her school as soon as I can, and I want to know how long it will take until I can HS her? Thanks so much!

Theodore

Compulsory schooling age is 6-16 for NY, so...

Postby Theodore » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:38 am

Compulsory schooling age is 6-16 for NY, so you don't have to worry about the legal requirements. Just take her out and start homeschooling immediately. You could start immediately even if she were 16 or younger, but you'd have to file a Notice of Intent within 14 days of starting, keep records, do annual testing, and follow the mininum of hours and subject matter mandated by NY. Much easier not to have to do all that :)

Keep in mind, of course, that you will still have to prove to colleges that she completed the coursework, so some form of transcript or standardized testing (CLEP, AP, or DANTES) is still in order.

Return to “Getting Started”