Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fustrated child

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Fustrated child Reply with quote

Today was a bad day. I am currently teaching my 5 year old how to read using the book Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. We are having problems blending letter sound together, she keeps saying them separately and I keep demonstrating to her how to blend them but she's just not getting it. What do I do?
4given
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would supplement (or put 100 Easy down for a couple of days). For me, that means leaning on my old ABeka days. I have several "characters" that I had to draw, cut out and laminate. Picture this...

A Momma kangaroo with a consonant on her abdomen, vowels in her pouch. Whenever a "baby" hops out, the student must blend.

A train engine and carts, using the same concept as above.

For consonant-consonant blends, the same things may work, but I already had tons of flashcards and charts at my disposal.

I guess the main thing is to make it fun and to stay calm and patient. That advice may not apply to you, but I have to put it out there... Back when I was teaching my firstborn son to read and write, we would both end up in tears nearly every day. At 4yo, he just wasn't ready... he's one of those wiggly boys! I'm straying off-topic so I'll stop for now.
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thanks for the input. Yeah the reading bit is not very fun and I think supplementing that one task she has problems with is the best thing.
amymom
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost voice! Say each word like a spooky ghost liikkke sssoooo, it makes blending fun. Act surprised when she "spooks" you with her reading. It's good incentive for reading. Let me know how it goes!
Blessings4all
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my youngest struggled with reading, I bought her Hooked on Phonics. It seemed to click for her because by 2nd grade she was reading Lord of the Rings all by herself.

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: