Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asperger's syndrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Asperger's syndrome Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything or have experience with Asperger's syndrome? How is it diagnosed? How do you know there may be a problem?
sunnie_skys
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many different signs of Aspergers. My nephew has it and we raised him for 2 years. It is usually the social part that really needs to focused on. They have a hard time with socializing properly. Children with Aspergers usually learn just fine.

Signs:
Do not look at you is the main one.
ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older topic, but I'm new and have a little experience.

First off there is a checklist your doctor (probably your neurologist) can use. There are different levels (mild, moderate and severe).

Oasis is a great place to start. http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

Sheila
jessgray
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 3 yr old son is getting an assesment for asperger's next month. he has some signs but not all (not all asperger's sufferers show all signs)
he lines things up, has an expressive speech delay (we've been told if he doesnt have aspergers its speech dyspraxia) , he is very sensitive to loud noisy enviroments and new people.so going shopping is a bit of work in itself.
I also have a 20 month old son and #3 is due in sept but we are not put off by our oldest 's needs in our descion to homeschool.
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wonderful resource for Asperger's syndrome is
Dr. Tony Attwood's site called www.tonyattowood.com.au

He is very good. I also like www.wrongplanet.net

I have a child with Asperger's so, so if you have questions......ask away.

I suspected that he had it, as I had read about it before diagnosis. Do reading before you go to doc.
BrandyBJ
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a note - in cases of Asperger's yuo'r enot really supposed to test until after age 7 - because between the age of 3 and 7 - MAJOR syptoms can either regress completely or come up out of nowhere. In general, it's better to get tested for a ASD - (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and then have ethem tested again after age 7...they get a more concrete diagnosis. Currently, 1 in 80 boys is autistic (including mine). Also, quite a few insurance companies won't cover aspies, but will provide servics for autism. Also, some school districts don't recognize asperger's on an IEP....so for example, my son has asperger's, but all the neurologists told us (as did his teachers) "don't write asperger's - put ASD or Autism and he will still get services." Its worked great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: