Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cloth diapers, anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: cloth diapers, anyone? Reply with quote

So, I've been using them for a little over a year. No way could I go back to disposables. However, I am now anticipating many more diapers in my diaper pail this summer. Up until now, I've used the Gerber prefolds from Walmart, with the (horrid) plastic pants and pins. I want to simplify by getting some all-in-ones, or at least getting away from pins. So begins my nightly diaper-quest online.

I am so confused. What brand do you use? Do you sew your own, and if you do, what do you use for a cover? I sewed some last spring, but, being a non-seamstress, I didn't like them. However, after all my internet searching, I discovered I made them wrong Confused . Fleece is so soft, it just seemed right to put it next to her skin and the flannel on the outside Embarassed ! I'm thinking, maybe I could try again, but will fleece really keep things clean? I've got so many questions!
Lily
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used them with my youngest. We used a combination of pocket dipes, prefolds and covers. I had some aios (and a few ai2s), but I didn't like them at all. They took too long to dry. Mostly I used what was cheapest - the plain white proraps because they fit him better than anything else, but we had a few of each of the main brands. One thing I would suggest not skimping on is the prefolds. They can be used so many different ways and the better the quality the better it will absorb. If you have to go Gerber make sure they're DSQ, not the standard off the shelf ones.

When we did use the covers and prefolds, I took a piece of fleece cut to the size of a large maxi pad and laid it on the inside. If he pooped, it rolled right off into the toilet - hardly any mess at all. The pocket dipes were saved for babysitters. It was easier for them to not have to mess with putting it together.

You might want to check out this page - www.diaperpages.com There's a lot of really good advice on there that helped when I was just starting out.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried a number of different kinds, and settled on the sort used by commercial diaper services. We actually sell them in our catalog, since finding a good source isn't always easy:

http://www.home-school.com/catalog/pages/diapers.php3

EDIT - sadly, we no longer sell these.

Last edited by Theodore on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
riccalo
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

Here are some links to websites that have do it yourself fitted diaper making tutorials.

http://www.diapersewing.com/ (I like this website the best.)

http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_fitteds.html

http://www.geocities.com/mytafadhali/FittedDiapers.htm

-Erica
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have used cd's on all 4 children, for the past 12+ years. I have found prefolds (about 3 dozen DSQ or Chinese) and diaper covers (6 ) to be the easiest method for me.
Here's where to read about how to keep a diaper pail system going. I like the dry pail method now that I've been doing it for awhile.

http://www.diaperpin.com/clothdiapers/article_diaperpail.asp

Here's where I buy my diaper covers, called Pro-raps. They are so durable, you can wash them in hot water and throw them in the dryer and they don't melt or leak.

http://www.nickisdiapers.com/

She sends them out fast and there is no shipping cost on diaper covers or the baby carrier she sells. She also has some good instructions for diapering, laundering, and carries lots of the AIO and pocket diapers.
Carrie H.
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Cloth diapers Reply with quote

Service Quality Diapers(enough for 2-3 days), and Bummies Super Whisper Wraps:-) They're the best. If you can afford it, I'd suggest two days worth of wraps for each size (Maybe even just small and medium...until potty trained) and 2-3 wool wraps. You can spend as much as you have...but it's easy to make wool wraps. Do a google for patterns. Basically if you trace the Bummies, you can use felted wool and Velcro. Lanolize them. If you want more ideas, email me at my email address. I loved cloth!!
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: cloth diapers, anyone? Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Up until now, I've used the Gerber prefolds from Walmart, with the (horrid) plastic pants and pins.

I hear your pain, I use these too. I tend not to use plastic pants and just change them more often, but thats more laundry for me. Heh, I guess I love making things hard on myself.
sunnie_skys
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the idea of cloth diapers. tried them out because that was the way we wanted to go. We did it for 2 weeks and my poor babies butt was blistered. We tried everything to stay with cloth but she could not handle it. There is a really good place in N.W. Wash that sells the liners with the velcro. All organic and great prices. I will have to look it up and get back to you. She is in Blaine, WA if your doing a search.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why that would be, unless the cloth wasn't thick cotton or you weren't using sufficient Desitin / baby powder :\
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnie Skys,
Were you washing your own diapers? I double rinse my diapers and put vinegar in the first rinse cycle(in the place made for fabric softener).
Sorry to hear you didn't find any cloth diapers that worked for you, and that your baby had problems with them.
sunnie_skys
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I had a friend that ran a diaper business. soak, rinse, vinigar, I dont remember the specifics since it was over a year ago we did it. Poor baby just could not handle cloth diapers and we were very sad about it.
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3 year old has a ostomy that allows her bladder to leak into the diaper so she would get a LOT of reoccurring yeast infections around the ostomy, cloth diapers saved me from a ridiculous amount of trips to the doc for a script of anti fungal cream. Yay for cloth!
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a website that explains cloth diapering in plain English. It's describes well some of my 12 yrs of experience with them. Hope it helps someone looking for resources and/or help with problems.

http://www.thediaperhyena.com/

I learned a lot from it, even though I've been using CD's all along exclusively.
abjennings
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnie_skys wrote:
I loved the idea of cloth diapers. tried them out because that was the way we wanted to go. We did it for 2 weeks and my poor babies butt was blistered. We tried everything to stay with cloth but she could not handle it. There is a really good place in N.W. Wash that sells the liners with the velcro. All organic and great prices. I will have to look it up and get back to you. She is in Blaine, WA if your doing a search.

We started using CD's when Ella was 9 months and had the same problem. Come to find out it was the formula. (quit nursing at 6 months). As soon as we switched formula, she was fine. Ella is 13months old and I am a cloth diaper junkie. We use Bumgenius, Fuzzibunz, Motherease, and G diapers (which might be a good choice for you). I hear diaperswappers.com is a great website. Haven't been there yet because I know what will happen.
happy2bhome
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the plain old Gerber pre-folds from Walmart. I did find some fasteners called Snappi Fasteners. I hate pins, too. I still use the plastic pants. Can't help you there.
Here is link for a picture:
http://www.treecitydiapers.com/store/product/10056/Snappi-White/

I didn't buy them there. I got them at a Mennonite department store near me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: