Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paying those Public School Taxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClassiclyAmber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Paying those Public School Taxes Reply with quote

It's inevitable for us...but I really, really wish there was something we could do about this. By that, I mean getting some laws changed. It doesn't seem fair at ALL for parents of school aged children to have to pay taxes on the public school system when we choose not to send our kids there.

In my mind, it should be that if you are legally HSing your child(ren), then you shouldn't have to pay taxes for OTHER people's kids to go to the local public school. After all, we need that money for our OWN children's education, right?

<sigh!> Rolling Eyes
Lily
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, along those lines, we shouldn't pay taxes at all. If you have private insurance, you shouldn't be paying for people to use Medicare! If you prefer to buy books, you should definitely stop your tax money from going toward the library!

It gets sillier and sillier. Paying my share of taxes isn't going to mean my children will do without because I support the community.

To echo your sentiment ........... Rolling Eyes
ClassiclyAmber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see why you'd say that, Lily, but I still disagree.

There will always be a ton of people paying into the public school system and most seem to not mind. However, for we homeschooling families, I personally feel that there should be something in place that makes it easier for us to provide our own children with education. The least they could do is let us keep that money every year to go towards our own school.
Lily
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public school is the equivalent of welfare in the form of education. Give to others and you will reap the benefits of a more productive society.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying those Public School Taxes Reply with quote

ClassiclyAmber wrote:
It doesn't seem fair at ALL for parents of school aged children to have to pay taxes on the public school system when we choose not to send our kids there.

I was awake half the night with my 3-mo-old, so I hope I'm saying true things here...

At least in some places school taxes are property taxes, so they aren't tied to who sends kids to the schools at all. Many property owners'/buyers' kids are grown and gone and no longer in school. Many other property owners/buyers have no children. Many schoolkids' parents live in rented housing and don't pay property/school taxes.

Ramona
Sandy
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassiclyAmber wrote:
However, for we homeschooling families, I personally feel that there should be something in place that makes it easier for us to provide our own children with education. The least they could do is let us keep that money every year to go towards our own school.

Isn't there a worry though about more govt. intervention? I think it would be great if I could keep a portion of my taxes for my own supplies, but then, I would think it almost "reasonable" for the govt to know what I did with it.

It is too bad that more parents don't have the knowledge we all do Laughing . They'd probably be demanding a change in public school funding. Maybe a candidate will rise up promising to eradicate the NEA, give more power to the parents, and make real progress in the education of America's children. Aaah...what a dream Rolling Eyes
MrBill
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just consider that your taxes aren't paying for the school system.
They are paying for something else like, oh I don't know, the war.
Hmm that doesn't make it any easier.

How about paved roads so your groceries are actually at the store when you need them?

You like food, right? So thats what your taxes are for,
everyone else is paying for schools, and prisons, and wars.
Decrease
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am no fan of the public schools, I am actually intrigued by a concept developed by some educational thinkers. One person recommended that since a "free education" is considered "free", that by placing a monetary value on the education and requiring everyone who sends their child to school to pay for part (or all, depending on how much you make) of the education, you actually will make the education more valuable in the minds of the parents and could give an impetus of educational freedom of choice without the baggage of vouchers and "free market" education.

A novel idea in my opinion as we homeschoolers would not be paying as much for the education of children we do not know in a system we do not support.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBill: You forget that there's a third option, don't take huge amounts of everyone's money through taxation. Less taxes means more take-home money, which means people spend more and work harder across the board, which means a significant expansion effect for the economy. If most social spending programs were reduced or removed entirely, then people could afford to donate to their local community in places where the money is 90% or better effective, rather than the lousy percentage the government manages (wastage, fraud, bureaucracy, etc.) For instance, I recently donated $500 to a local food bank. They say they can serve thousands of meals to the homeless for that $500, but good luck getting even a fraction of that effect from the government.

Yes, one of the things that the government should be spending money on is infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, etc., but food? Farmers are already heavily subsidized. The reason food prices are so high right now is the emphasis on corn use for ethanol, which by the way doesn't noticeably lower either fuel prices or "greenhouse gas" emissions. If you really want to lower food prices, I suggest lobbying for the removal of all subsidies on corn used for a non-food purpose. Ethanol isn't a good primary fuel, and sugarcane is pretty much the only thing you can produce ethanol from efficiently anyhow.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramona you are right at least around here. Everybody contributes to the budget of the town and financial advisers decide how to tell the town how to vote. So everyone is paying for everything.

I wish we could just get a reimbursement for what we buy when we do our taxes, like when we pay a charity. When you go to college your tuition helps for your tax benefit, why can't what you pay for your child's education before they go to college. I don't see how the government could have that much control over what your teaching then.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: