A call from a parent

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

douglisa
User

A call from a parent

Postby douglisa » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:31 pm

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:07 am

Ophelia
User

Re: A call from a parent

Postby Ophelia » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:47 am

Dawn

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)

douglisa
User

Postby douglisa » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Glottis
User

Postby Glottis » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:18 pm

hmmm... people who very well have no idea what goes on in the home schooling world typically say those things... i hope you do encourage other parents to homeschool, it really is such a great way to educate your kid and a great way to develop the family's relationship... goodluck

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm just curious - how in the heck do you all homeschool only 2 or 3 hours a day? :lol:

Even when I wasn't using the A Beka DVD program we were in class 8:30-3:00 solid.

I'm not berating, attacking or anything at all like that - I'm just dumbfounded that we're in school from 8:30 - 3:00 and you all are only teaching 2 or 3 hours a day. Of course we do take a 1 hour lunch.

He's never once complained about the hours we school either.
"I don't know how old the devil was when he rejected God's authority, but my guess it would be 15"
- Parent of a 15 year old son -

douglisa
User

Postby douglisa » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:22 pm

He gets about 4 to 5 pages of work in each book done a day in math, science, reading, and spelling. I think that is pretty good for a 7 yr old.
The person who sold me the books said that if I do more than that he will get done too early. We plan on adding Spanish and piano lessons once we recieve the material, then we will up it to 3 hours a day. 1/2 hour per subject.
I see you have a fifteen yr old? I bet that when my son is that old we will have to up the amount of classes which would give us more hours too. I can't remember how many hours a yr it is supposed to be but the lady that sold me the books said that it fufills those hrs.

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:29 pm

No, I'm teaching a 7 year old in 2nd grade now. The 15 year old is living with his mom.

We're doing about 11 pages of work a day in phonics, math, language, writing, reading 2 different books and spelling and poetry. We will add science, history and some other things as the curriculum goes on, and we're doing art twice a week.

Remember, I'm doing A Beka curriculum which is set up to use in classroom as well as homeschooling so it's pretty intensive. :D
"I don't know how old the devil was when he rejected God's authority, but my guess it would be 15"

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:26 pm

8:30 - 3:00 p.m. is still a long time for the A Beka 2nd grade curriculum. Are you doing everything listed in the curriculum guides? There's much extra work and "enrichment" activities so one could fill up a whole year per lesson probably. :lol:

At any rate, if it works for you, keep it up. It's not so much the hours, but how much your child learns and enjoys learning.

We use A Beka also. We never follow the curriculum guides and are finished every day by noon with the exception of p.e. which we do after lunch.

There's many of us here who use A Beka and could probably help you get the 2nd grade down to a 3 to 4 hour day. How much time are you spending per subject or does it differ each day?

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Are you using the DVD program or the regular curriculum? We follow the DVD's and the guide 100%. My husband won't have it any other way, and which is fine by me.

His brother was homeschooled by his mother and missed so much and because he was a wiggler when he was in public schools, he was pushed to the backseat and ignored basically.

Since we can be in control of his education, we want Kenny to actually get one.

He's a wiggler too, and a talker and we are afraid that in public school they would do the same thing to him as they did his brother, they refused to do anything with him unless my husband and his first wife put him on meds. We don't want this to happen at all.

Anyway, tell me what you're doing differently?

I will come back later and tell you more about our schedule, I have to see my kiddo off to bed. :D He loves me :D he told me without me saying it first --- for a step-mom that's a great thing!

douglisa
User

Postby douglisa » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:22 pm

Feels so good when they say they love you!
I have never heard the term wiggler, love it! That's what my little one is and I took him out for the same reason you guys chose to.
His writing has improved so much in a very short time. He also talks about the things he is learning, before I would say "What did you do in school today?" and he would always say "I don't know." I feel that he is learning so much more in 2 to 3 hours a day than he ever did going 7 hours public. Isn't it great to see them learning and connecting so much more? :D

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 pm

OK here's our schedule, pretty much taken out of the book - I made a sign for our classroom door, his Dad works at home too and he knows where we are and if we are interruptable right then

8:30 – 9:00 Bible Study
9:00 – 9:25 Phonics
9:25 - 11:00 Seatwork/Reading
11:00 – 11:40 Arithmetic
12-1 Lunch
1:00 – 1:20 Reading
1:25 - 1:35 Arithmetic Combinations
1:35 – 1:45 Spelling
1:45 – 2:05 Activity Somedays - if I"m really tired, or he's just wiggling uncontrollably and I can't get him to focus anymore, we do cut this out. It's usually just a poem and a song or a craft project, which I figure we can do any time.
2:05 – 3:00 Finish Seatwork if needed

douglisa
User

Postby douglisa » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:13 pm

I was told that mine was fine doing just a half an hour in his reading comprension book because he is reading in his other things too, already I see a huge improvment with it.
What is seat work? I also see you have arithmetic and arithmetic combonations, I assume it is a beka thing but what is the difference between the two?

Here is our shedule
Science book 9-9:30
Math book 9:30-10
Reading comprehension 10-10:30
Spanish 10:30-11
Spelling 11-11:30

For spelling I make a list of the words he has trouble with and then have him spell them out on his magnadoodle till he memorizes them. We had a spelling book but it was too easy. I also quiz him once in a while throughout the day. I say "Hey Tsion! How do you spell....."
He also helps me cook, clean and garden.
The lady that sold me my books said that A Beka is a good system if you start them really young but is difficult if they have already in public.
I wanted all Beka materials but she easily talked me out of it.
Before I met her I had looked at the A Beka website and holy smokes it was expensive! :shock: I was worried I would not be able to afford to home school. I bought my books used at her co op and spent only $65, I was so relieved.

kennys_mommy
User

Postby kennys_mommy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:06 am

douglisa
User

Postby douglisa » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:10 am

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”