Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cookbook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EJDSmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: cookbook Reply with quote

My daughter is working on learning the states for a homeschooling project.. As a fun way to learn a little bit about the states, we are putting together a 50 state cookbook collecting one (or more) recipe(s) from each state.

Is there anyone who woudl be willing to share a recipe from a different state. Ideal they would be recipes that are unique to the state/region (ie rice for breakfast from Virgina or Shrimp and grits from the Carolinas)

Thanks

Please post here or email to emmachilds@fuse.net
mommyto2girls
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a neat idea! does fried chicken from Popeye's count as a recipe from GA? LOL

I am trying to think. I guess the way we do BBQ is different than many other states? I will ask my grandfather how he does BBQ if you are interested in that. I guess he makes it the same as many do in NC, but the places i've been in NC serve slaw on their BBQ sandwiches.

Good luck...this is interesting - I would love to see the finished product!
Lily
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently a Nebraskan, but I grew up a Californian. Here's a simple recipe for you:

Bagel sandwich
---------------
1 whole wheat or multigrain bagel
1 avacado
sprouts
sliced turkey or chicken
2 thin slices of tomato
a few leaves of fresh spinach
1 tsp lemon juice
1 clove of garlic.

Scoop out the avacado and mash in a bowl until creamy. Finely mince the garlic and add to the avacado spread, then add the lemon juice. Stir together. Slice the bagel and toast lightly. On each half, spread some of the avacado mixture, then on one half layer the spinach, tomato, sprouts and turkey/chicken. Top with the other half and eat!

I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley, which is known for its abundance of fruits and vegetables and then lived on the Central coast. This would have been a pretty typical lunch for me when I lived out there.
EJDSmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you both.

Mommyto2girls: The recipe that I have from NC does have bbq with slaw on sandwiches so if there is a way you do it differently, I would love to see it.

Lily-

Thanks for the Calif recipe. Were you a former Montessori teacher?

Thanks,

Pauline
Lily
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

EJDSmom wrote:
Lily-

Thanks for the Calif recipe. Were you a former Montessori teacher?

No......my youngest led me to the style when he was a toddler. What to do with a child who craves structure, wants to be independent, and loves to work alone? Laughing The more activities I found to help him, the more I found in Montessori work.

The quote is a reminder to me of how I want to teach, and how I love to watch my children learn. I present the information/activity and then stand back and watch. Something that's very hard to do when I see mistakes happening. Wink Though worth it when I continue watching to see the struggle through it to triumph and SEE them learning actively instead of passively.
oneofthegirls
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: gumbo Reply with quote

Gumbo is always welcome when the weather turns chilly in cajun country!
Enjoy;

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Ingredients

3 lb. fryer-8 cut
2 lb sausage-fresh or smoked
2 tbsp. oil
4 tbsp flour

1 c onion diced
1/2 c. bell pepper diced
1/2 c. celery diced
2 cloves garlic minced
3 tomatoes diced
2 bay leaves
1/4 c. onion tops diced
1/4 c. fresh parsley chopped
1 c. chicken stock
red, white and black peppers
hot sauce to taste
2 tsp basil
2 tsp thyme
3 dashes Worcestershire sauce

2 cups cooked rice

If the sausage is fresh, brown sausage first, then the chicken in oil. If the sausage is smoked, brown just the chicken, remove from pot. Boil grease until the water evaporates (clarify the fat), then add flour and make a medium dark roux. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Simmer, 4 minutes, add tomato, basil and thyme, ground peppers, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and bay leaves. Put chicken and sausage back in and simmer at least 30 minutes, or until chicken is done. Add cooked rice, onion tops and parsley, adjust seasoning with peppers, bring back to a simmer and serve.Serves between four and six.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: