Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drawback to Unit studies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WWMama
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Drawback to Unit studies? Reply with quote

I've been wondering, as I'm looking at all the different methods of homeschooling, about unti studies. I worked as a "preschool teacher" for a few years before getting married and having children and I really think that all my lesson planning as a preschool teacher really makes me lean towards unit studies as the way I want to do homeschooling. Its the way my brain works and I think it will be a good way to teach one thing and gear it to whatever level either of my kids happen to be at on whatever "subject". I'm wondering...for those of you who are currently doing this...are there any disadvantages to this approach? Have you found things that are more difficult or harder to do with this method? Or things to beware of?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fellow former preschool teacher I felt the same way, the one draw back that I see is the time that it takes to plan. I now do a combination of things, some workbooks, some readings and some unit studies. I just don't have the time to plan it all for three. If you do, go ahead, it really is a wonderful way to homeschool.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it might depend on what "unit studies" means to you Smile

To *me*, unit studies means picking a topic and doing everything around that topic until we're tired of it, lol. Only English and math need to be done as separate subjects.

The more organized, "official" unit studies such as KONOS, the Weaver, Prairie Primer, Where the Brook and the River Meet, et al, remove most of the pain in planning. I'm a KONOS fan, myself, although Where the Brook and the River Meet looks very interesting.

I suppose a drawback might be that our dc don't have lots of practice filling out workbook pages, but since there's very little of that in adult life, that isn't something that concerns me a whole bunch, lol.
WWMama
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I really feel that unit study will be what we do...shows how green I am that I didn't even realize there are things like KONOS, etc. Man...if I stick around here long enough, I might just get things figured out! Very Happy
Kitty-Cat
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like unit studies, but the only thing is because I make them myself is burn out. So I only do them sometimes. Maybe if you buy ones all prepared that would not be a problem.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWMama wrote:
Thanks for the information. I really feel that unit study will be what we do...shows how green I am that I didn't even realize there are things like KONOS, etc. Man...if I stick around here long enough, I might just get things figured out! Very Happy

LOL.

Also, if you stick with us long enough, you'll learn what all our mistakes were so you won't make the same ones Smile
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
I guess it might depend on what "unit studies" means to you Smile

I suppose a drawback might be that our dc don't have lots of practice filling out workbook pages, but since there's very little of that in adult life, that isn't something that concerns me a whole bunch, lol.

I'm a firm believer in writing for meaningful purposes. Filling out workbook pages isn't my idea of applying knowledge practically. Instead, you (the parent) should look at the workbook for ideas of things/ideas that you can turn into something more meaningful.

Unfortunately, it will take more time and effort to come up w/ the ideas on your part, but I think your kids will enjoy the activities more than simply writing in the correct answers on a worksheet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: