Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 year old 'geek'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacky
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: 3 year old 'geek' Reply with quote

Hi, am new to this forum. We have a 3 year old son who we have decided to homeschool in Scotland - mainly for religious reasons. His older siblings (17 and 13) call him a geek because he knows so much . He is whizzing through 'teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons', can write most of his letters correctly, can count quite high and also in tens. But his main interest is science (he says he wants to be an inventor when he grows up) - asking questions such as 'why arent crocodiles amphibians' and 'are bats troglobytes or trogolxenes?' I'm looking for ideas which are not going to cost the earth (facts from books such as magic school bus are memorised extremely quickly - and libraries are not too good here...) and also for a maths curriculum suitable for 3 year olds .
Thanks!!
Lily
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how much he's picking up now, I would be extremely hesitant to add formal curriculum to a 3yo's day. This is the age when exploration is more important - get a set of cuisenaire rods, a base ten set, sudoku, an abacus, pizza fractions, and let him learn and discover at his own pace in these early years. Same with science. Go with his cues - if he asks for it, offer it. Stevespanglerscience.com has plenty of fun experiment things for all ages and stages.

It's not a race, just a journey that we never want to be burned out on.
memmerrill
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't used it yet, because my daughter isn't ready for it, but I have looked into Miquon Math for the early grades. It has a laboratory approach to math and seems like something that your son may be interested in. It works with the Cuisenare Rods. This is the company that produces it: http://www.keypress.com/x6252.xml It's worth looking in to.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from someone who loves miquon and is very sorry to see the last of the books being finished in my home. I would also recommend waiting a year. you can get cuiseneire books, and manipulatives that go through a lot of experimenting. that way when you do get into the more methodical and sequential math, he will have already experimented with all the materials. That would be my advice at least.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a copy of John Holt's book, The Way Children Learn, get it and read it.
My ds who is now just turning 10 yrs old, learned to read when he was 2-1/2. We did not purchase or need any formal curriculum. We went to the book store and let him pick out math books he wanted to read; we bought some manipulatives(sample sets for teachers from the science surplus store), and let him play with them.
Now he is excelling in math and physics. He is reading all adult level books now. Except, he loves Theoni Pappas' books, especially The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat which introduces concepts not found in elementary school children, usually.
Just follow his interests and see how that goes.

Kim in IL
Jazzy
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you should hold off on formal curriculum at that age. He seems to be learning just fine without one.

I would recommend you looking into purchasing some science books from Usborne.

We aren't doing a formal science curriculum, so I have these books on hand for my son to explore. He really likes the experiment type books like "Science in the Kitchen". He also really enjoys the Usborne Book of Knowledge. Some of the science books are internet linked, which means each page has info that will lead you to internet resources for further study.

Anyway, good luck finding resources for him. You have a very bright boy on your hands!
memmerrill
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo3boys, what age were your children when you began using Miquon with them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: