Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East coast gal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stayinhomewith4
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: East coast gal Reply with quote

I am new to hs and currently live in PA.
I thougt this was a fairly easy state, but i'm not really sure. Kids don't need to be enrolled here until age 8. My oldest is only six. OUr house is for sale, because we want more land, we are in a town home with a TINY yard, and have 4 young kids.
The states we are considering are PA, MD, VA,& WVA. Our considerationds are laws surrounding homeschool, homebirth, medical, vaccines. I've heard bad stuff about MDs laws. Is it tough to homeschool there? Thats where my fam. is from, but we haven't lived there for about 5 yrs.
I recently read an article on NewsTarget (check it out!) about parents being put in jail because their kids shots weren't up to date in Prince Georges County, MD. Thats pretty scary to me. Regardless of anyones views on vac, this is a health choice freedom that should not be taken away.
okay so I would really appreciate any advice on my move to any of these states. I am feeling a little overwhelmed! There is a lot to consider I'm trusting that God will direct my family to the right place!
Thanks!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: East coast gal Reply with quote

I've been told HS'ing is harder in the counties around DC, but we HS'ed down in St. Mary's for several years and found it quite easy. (We aren't in MD any more.)

We also did a homebirth in MD and that was also not a problem.
bennifer
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in VA and hslaws are pretty lax. You need to file a notice of intent, and there are other requirements. You can take a look at vahomeschoolers.com and find lots of info. I may not personally agree with the whole vac thing but I have a girlfriend who firmly disagrees with vaccinations and has not had any problems. She just went down to the health dept. and filled out some sort of form. As for homebirths, as a doula, Im all for them. Midwifes are wonderful and if youre a low risk pregnancy, what better place for mom to be than at home! Never heard of anyone having issues. Good luck
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: East coast gal Reply with quote

stayinhomewith4 wrote:
I am new to hs and currently live in PA.
I thougt this was a fairly easy state, but i'm not really sure. Kids don't need to be enrolled here until age 8. My oldest is only six. OUr house is for sale, because we want more land, we are in a town home with a TINY yard, and have 4 young kids.

The states we are considering are PA, MD, VA,& WVA. Our considerationds are laws surrounding homeschool, homebirth, medical, vaccines. I've heard bad stuff about MDs laws. Is it tough to homeschool there? Thats where my fam. is from, but we haven't lived there for about 5 yrs.

I recently read an article on NewsTarget (check it out!) about parents being put in jail because their kids shots weren't up to date in Prince Georges County, MD. Thats pretty scary to me. Regardless of anyones views on vac, this is a health choice freedom that should not be taken away.

okay so I would really appreciate any advice on my move to any of these states. I am feeling a little overwhelmed! There is a lot to consider I'm trusting that God will direct my family to the right place!
Thanks!

The only thing "easy" about PA is that it has a higher age cut-off date than many states. It is one of HSLDA's "red" states, those with the highest accountability to the government.

Of the states you're thinking about, just looking over the laws on HSLDA's site, it looks to me as if MD requires the least, followed by WVA and VA. PA would not be on *my* list under any circumstances Surprised I don't know about other things such as home birth; I'm fairly sure that the vaccination laws do not apply to homeschoolers, but you would want to check with HSLDA on that (because of course you should be a member).

Here's a link to HSLDA's legal stuff on the different states:

www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: