Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video and computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elei
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Video and computer time Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

apart from playing a lot, my boys love videos and computergames, actually my oldest if I let him he would be in front of a screen all day long. I know they can learn a lot from good video's and good games so they watch a video (documentals about animals or other stuff) everyday and we have a lot of educational computergames which they love. But my question to you all with more experience is: How much screen time do you allow them? If I count the video, the computergame and some internet time where we look up thing together sometimes we get to three hours a day. Would you think that is too much? I have the feeling it is too much, but on the other hand I know he is learning a lot from that and they never watch TV shows or we never have the TV on eating or anything. Do you let your children watch educational videos or computergames whenever they want?
Elei.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with screen time isn't what they are or aren't learning, it's how overstimulated the brain gets. What if you let them choose one screen option each day? We don't have a TV so I let them get about 30min of play time on the computer and about 30 of educational time, but not everyday. When my children go and visit grandma or Pepe and watch a lot of TV, they are so grumpy for the next day! Their little brains have been so overstimulated that they have no self control and can't concentrate on their work. They need about two hours of debriefing for every hour of TV. Just a thought. Sorry I got on the soap box.

It is generally recommended to have no more than 1 hour of screen time per day.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Depends a lot on what videos and computer games they use. I assume they're older children? While you don't want young children watching TV at all because it messes with their brain development, older children watching an hour or two of good TV shows (defined as shows that involve some amount of thought or imagination) won't hurt, and there are plenty of strategy computer games that can be actually educational. Still, they should do at least as much outside activities, reading, etc. as TV / computer games. Using the computer is good for your typing skills, but you won't learn much grammar, spelling, or vocabulary from people on the Internet. Reading is the best way to learn that.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried to limit either. I have sometimes said they have to get their work done first. That's no longer necessary though!
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a set time limit in our house, but it has never been an issue. Somedays the TV is never on....other days it is on in the background almost all day while we are playing and such. Durning true school time it is off no matter what. Same with computer...somedays they are never on the computer other days they are on it several times durning the day.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my teens work is on the computer. They have to do that ACT question of the day for instance. Rosetta Stone is computer based as well. The science CD we have is too. They do almost all writing online.
amird
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest is about 6 yo.
we limit what can be seen on TV, and the websites (learning sites such as starfall for English and of course my site for learning Hebrew and math.
We had a time that we limited the screen time and encouraged outdoor activities, but these days we don't need to limit
Amir
Lauxa
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids spend the same or less time in front of screens as I do. When I am doing housework, etc, I turn off all the computers and TVs. When I am programming or web surfing or watching TV, they can watch TV or play games as well. It's probably about 2-3 hours a day during the week, an hour or so of "quiet time" around 4:00 and an hour or so after getting ready for bed.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 6 year old would love to play games on the computer all day if I let him. Anytime anyone else walks away from the computer for an instant he tries to sneak in there.

I finally made a rule that if he did really well on an (insert subject here) lesson he could play on the computer for 30 minutes. The same rule applies to the Vsmile.

We do not watch television in our home. But the kids do get to watch a movie about every other day.
tsmama24
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably the worst person to respond to a post like this one, because we are a HIGHLY techie family. We couldn't live without our screens, and somehow our boys have managed to turn out to be normal, likeable, even well-rounded young men who happen to be computer geeks...go figure! Check out my blog if you get a chance...it is about our life as Techie Homeschoolers: Topsy-Techie. Good luck!

Kerry
WWMama
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We watch a couple hours of tv a day at our house, generally when the kids are waking up in the morning. As far as computer time...its interesting because I have one kid who seems to be able to pick up anything from a cd/computer/movie but give him a book and he's lost. My other child is exactly the opposite, would rather have his nose in a book. I guess I wouldn't worry about it unless it seems to be causing an issue for you. As long as you are smart about what they are watching or playing I really don't think they will turn out to be a detriment to society.
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they are still excelling in their schoolwork and have opportunities to free play and exercise their imagination, I think three hours is reasonable, especially since you have limited the regular tv watching and they are playing educational games. I love the fact that kids learn when they don't realize they are learning!!!
Scout
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: my plan for next year.... Reply with quote

... don't know how well it will work.

I am going to require my kids to earn their screen time next year. They can earn it buy doing "independent learning" of their choice... ie, working on all those workbooks, great curriculum, educational gadgets etc. that I bought that we never got around to fitting into our schedule. Hopefully they will find something interesting...
mark_egp
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I'm a computer professional by degree and trade, I've always been uneasy with screen based media, including movies/TV. Lately I read Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death which details the problems with these media, even for wholesome types of programming.

I recommend it for all parents, truly "must read".
More details here: http://www.everygoodbook.com/detail/22
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've give it a look but it sounds awfully alarmist so I probably won't like it and therefore won't read it word for word.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: