Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long does it take U to HS? Do you have time for chores?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilovemy2bunnies
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: How long does it take U to HS? Do you have time for chores? Reply with quote

I was wondering how long it takes differant poeple to HS?
When do you fit in chores,laundry,dishes,ect.....

Thanks will be fun to see.

I try to HS 4 hours a day.I fit in the chores when ever I can. I am looking for a better method.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes me anywhere from 2 to 4 hours a day to school both kids. Although I am not set with my times I try to go from 8 to 12 and then have lunch and do housework after lunch. The kids can work independently in the afternoon because even though we HS I still assign homework every night even if it is just reading. My kids actually have chores that help me out too. For instance my kids alternate days doing dishes (we don't have a dishwasher) and laundry day is Wed and Sat. and I don't mind washing and hanging them out and bringing them in but once they are folded the owner has to come and get them and put them away. I am actually teaching my son this year how to hang out the clothes the right way so he can help. They both have household chores too like dusting, cleaning hardwood floors and vacuuming the one room with carpet. They have a chart and take turns doing different things. This help makes everyones day go better and things get done early in the day and the rest of the day they can do whatever they want.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that this will change, parenting techniques only last for so long. Rolling Eyes

Right now, we do chores first thing in the morning, then start schoolwork, then lunch, then they can play. If they slept too late then they get to do the chores while to other one is playing. It's a bit of an incentive to get your butt out of bed in the morning. Very Happy

we start school at 8:30 and go until noon, if they don't finish then it cuts into the afternoon play time.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we take on average of 2-3 hours to do school work a day. Although that is book/instruction work. We have tons of learning time out side of the through the day. As for chores we do them through out the day. An example is:
I get up first and get dressed and start the laundry for the day. The kids then get up and we have breakfast together as a family.
We clear the table and the kids get dresses and brush teeth. While they are do this, I unload and reload the dishwasher. Then we have some free play time (I have a 6 year old, 3 year old, and a 1 year old) and while that is going on I clean bathrooms and dust. While fixing lunch the kids pick up any messes they have made. Same with dinner, while dinner is being fixed the kids pick up any play messes they have created. We do structured class before and after lunch, with the majority being after lunch while little ones are napping so it is quieter in our house.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How long does it take U to HS? Do you have time for chor Reply with quote

How long it takes varies widely from day to day. Our state law requires an average of 4 hours a day. We usually take more than 4, partly because I have 6 kids and partly because I like to do things like read aloud to them which can go on for hours if we're all enjoying the book.

My kids do the vast majority of any housework that ever gets done around here (I have 3 teens as well as little ones) and they do it from 8-9 a.m. Mon-Sat. They also have to straighten up the kitchen after lunch, keep doing laundry all day between other things, and do my big housekeeping projects when we take a month off (3 times a year).

Ramona
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't take me long because I don't do "school at home" I facilitate and grade.

I don't do a lot of chores either. The kids have some to do. I do some but I don't worry about keeping things perfect.

There are too many other things I'm busy doing, like enjoying life, learning, socializing and working.
kerry1968
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only work between 10-12:30, he sometimes watches the history or science channel on his own or plays learning games afterwards. He prefers to not take a snack so instead he works straight through with no interruptions.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as we were old enough to help out, we started doing housework (and getting paid every week according to what work we did and whether we did a good job).
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, believe me, we have pleeeeenty of time for chores. Too much time for my liking. Our basic schedule is:

6:00-8:00 Get up
Eat breakfast
Shower
AM Chores (This includes starting laundry, cleaning cat's litter boxes [sadly, that's my job!], taking out trash [brother's job!], cleaning kitchen, making our beds, sweeping the floors, etc.)

9:00-12:00 Schoolwork

12:00-2:00 Lunch
Free Time

2:00-2:30 Silent Reading (We're doing all of the high school required reads. I'm currently reading Frankenstein, and my brother is enjoying the Hobbit.)

2:30-5:30 PM Chores (These are basically the same as the AM Chores)
Free Time

5:30-9:00 Dinner
Free Time

9:00-10:00 Bed

So, my brother and I have to set times to do chores, lasting anywhere from 2-3 hours. We also do chores periodically throughout the day when need be.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan,

I'm curious what list of "required" high schools reading y'all are using?

Thanks,

Stellar
bittersweet
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only spend maybe an hour on seat work for the kindergartener. But my littles are learning all the time.
We start our day whenever we wake up. The baby is up early, so I get up with him between 6-7. We have some togetherness until ds gets up, sometimes when we do sometimes a little later.
I shower, we all dress, eat breakfast and then we all have a little break.
around 9 or 10 we start school work. I do the dishes, laundry, make the beds, sweep the floors, mop, if needed, cook, etc while he does his work. I only have to ready the letters to him and offer guidance on numbers ( he's a little iffy past 10). When he finishes he can play.
I try to offer at least one more structured activity during the day, like an art project. Today we baked cookies and made sidewalk chalk ( not totally successful Embarassed ) Unless we are working on something together, I just kind of float through the house doing whatever I need to do.
We have required reading that we do at bedtime. We are reading the complete works of AA Milne (Pooh Bear). I also read to them at their request throughout the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: