Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eFantasmic curriculum - anyone heard of it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treshay
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: eFantasmic curriculum - anyone heard of it? Reply with quote

I got a link in an email the other day for a website called eFantasmic.com. It's a website full of curriculum based on books. They've done all the work, each book has pages and pages of discussion, worksheets, parent guides, power reading and more. It looks great. It cost $97 for life but that is a limited time offer. It's something I really want to try but there are a few things....my husband just got his CDL and his just starting this new career so we are money-less at the moment - I have my stash of money and could buy this but without his income I'm thinking very long and hard before spending anything (although he'll start getting paid again in a week) Having said that, obviously, money is one of the issues, second is that I've never heard of them. I guess they're somewhat new but me never hearing of something could just be that I just started homeschooling this year.

So I'm wondering if anyone has used or heard of this website? What would you recommend. Here is the website, maybe even just some opinions on what you think of the site itself would be helpful even if you've never heard of them either. I'd love your opinions. Thanks
http://www.efantasmic.com/
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for the price, it wouldn't hurt to buy one and see if you like it.
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of them. I followed your link. They seem to be brand new. Do they have any guarantees? What if the site doesn't last?

Another thing to consider is that it appears that you need to print everything yourself. If you're concerned about the cost to join this website, can you afford all the paper & ink to print everything you need?

Also realize that they do not provide the books, you get them from your local library (a good idea, cost-efficient, if you avoid late fees).
treshay
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardening momma wrote:
I've never heard of them. I followed your link. They seem to be brand new. Do they have any guarantees? What if the site doesn't last?

Another thing to consider is that it appears that you need to print everything yourself. If you're concerned about the cost to join this website, can you afford all the paper & ink to print everything you need?

Also realize that they do not provide the books, you get them from your local library (a good idea, cost-efficient, if you avoid late fees).

Yeah, these are all the same questions I have. I'm using edhelper.com for supplementing the books I have and just ran out of ink for the second time this school year so I am really starting to see how costly printing them myself can be (oh and frustrating as well!!)

I just like the idea of learning through literature. We go to the library every week and read like crazy - we love it! I know they are learning alot just from that but I'd love for that to actually be our curriculum or the main part of it.

I'm just going to wait and see if they do last. I have already purchased so many things in addition to the original Lifepac curriculum so I guess I should stop adding or I'll drive myself crazy LOL.
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What grades/ages are your kids? I believe Five in A Row is for younger elementary, and is literature--based (you get the books from the library). I have a friend that uses it and she really likes it. There's also Before Five in a Row for preschool-age.
treshay
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardening momma wrote:
What grades/ages are your kids? I believe Five in A Row is for younger elementary, and is literature--based (you get the books from the library). I have a friend that uses it and she really likes it. There's also Before Five in a Row for preschool-age.

They are 8 yrs - 3rd grade, 4 yrs Pre-K but working more in the Kindergarden level and 7 months - still in the observation stage LOL. I've heard of some literature based programs and would love to try one. I'll look into that. Thank you.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked it over last week and decided to go with it.
I think my wife has already done the subscription thing. Smile

of course, I have a monster printer so will be printing things out and filing
them over the next few weeks. That way if the site goes away for some
reason, I'll have covered my investment.
milehimom
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: reading curriculum Reply with quote

If you are trying to save money and don't want to print, we discovered www.bookadventure.com. You use it to take a quiz on the book you are reading, with most popular children's titles available. It's free, you take the test online and parents can view the results.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's pretty neat. Smile
WishboneDawn
User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe efantasmic.com is linked to K12FreeHomeschool.org which some homeschoolers have had serious problems with in the past.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: reading curriculum Reply with quote

milehimom wrote:
If you are trying to save money and don't want to print, we discovered www.bookadventure.com. You use it to take a quiz on the book you are reading, with most popular children's titles available. It's free, you take the test online and parents can view the results.

That site also links to quiz hub that has quite a few free quizzes on many topics in a curriculum!
jslcbb
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: efantasmic Reply with quote

I bought the full access subscription since they have a 30 day money back guarantee. It took a week for them to get me my login info when it was supposed to be made immediatly available. I had to email them 6 times before the finally contacted me with that information. Over halfof the files that I tried to download would not completely load. It says that they are corrupted and will not open. I tried to contact the customer service to see if they could fix the problem. I never got a response. I decided that I was not satisfied and wanted to get a refuns. I started contacting them with a week and a half left in the 30 days. I have now emailed them 9 times to request a refund. I have heard nothing back from them. The last time I emailed, I told them that if I did not hear from them I would make sure and post on the forums that I heard about them to warn other people that the do not provide the services that they say they do, so don't waste your money. I thought it would be safe with the guarantee, but obviously not. Efantamic is part on 3moms.com. I even tried contacting them that way. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get my money returned, I would appreciate it.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could contact a consumer forum about this. They might lean on the company for you. Here is a good one:

http://consumerist.com/

I'm so sorry this happened. I hope things work out better soon. Let us know what happens.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that error a couple of times, and it turned out that I had a problem
with Adobe.
Once I re-installed Adobe there were no more issues and I am quite pleased
with what I have downloaded and used so far.
jslcbb
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: efantasmic Reply with quote

They finally sent me my refund two days after I posted on here. Thanks for the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: