Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CA Homeschooling HELP PLEASE paper work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nabbie
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: CA Homeschooling HELP PLEASE paper work Reply with quote

Hello, everyone

I am not new to homeschooling I have been with a public school program for home school however I am starting to feel it's more and more like public school everyday. My 4th grader has 100-245 math pages a month now They have her going so fast she can't remember anything. My 3rd grade daughter has gotten to the point she don't want to try anymore because she can't keep up. With all the math 4 stories plus spelling and reading pages.The Social studies drives them nuts as they do not wish to learn about Ca. (We will soon be moving to OKLA) My homeschool kids are spending as much time working with books as the kid next door in public school. My kids read way past the grade level but the teacher we meet with once a month thinks they are fine. $th grader has read Harry Potter books all of them Narnia series and alot more for 7-8 grade level. Work is boring her.

We are planning on traveling a few places before moving to Okla and they need to keep the school work up

SO my question is this!
I want to branch out and go private. The whole reason I home school was to teach without books all day. We read Ca requires a R4 form and that you need to keep records what what your kids are doing and hours in school that kind of stuff.
Right now I have to keep records of where they are in the work but everything else to keep us legal is done by the school. They give us public school books are require us to complete so much month to month.

How hard is it to keep records and how often do you have to meet someone to show your work and tell what you child is learning.
My dh fears I can't keep the records or something will happen and it could cost money with court if I mess up the records. Also thinks if records are not right it will mess up there chance for collage.

Are the records that hard to keep and do you have to meet someone monthly as we do now.
Can anyone help me out here please?
Question

nabbie newbie to site
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CA Homeschooling HELP PLEASE paper work Reply with quote

nabbie wrote:
Hello, everyone

SO my question is this!
I want to branch out and go private. The whole reason I home school was to teach without books all day. We read Ca requires a R4 form and that you need to keep records what what your kids are doing and hours in school that kind of stuff.

Well, part of what you have read is correct. You do need to file an R4, but you do not have to keep records of what your dc are doing or count hours or anything else.

Quote:
Right now I have to keep records of where they are in the work but everything else to keep us legal is done by the school. They give us public school books are require us to complete so much month to month.

Remember that Calif law considers your dc to be public school students, not private school students (which is what homeschoolers are). That's why there's so much paperwork and trivial whatnot now.

Quote:
How hard is it to keep records and how often do you have to meet someone to show your work and tell what you child is learning.

You never, ever have to meet with anyone, at any time, for any reason. You do not have to show your work or tell what your dc is learning.

Quote:
My dh fears I can't keep the records or something will happen and it could cost money with court if I mess up the records. Also thinks if records are not right it will mess up there chance for collage.

As a private homeschooler, I *strongly* recommend that you join HSLDA before withdrawing your dc from the public school program. There is a very slight chance that there would be legal action, and by very slight, I mean that since I started hsing in 1982, no school district has successfully prosecuted a hser, thanks mostly to the hard work of HSLDA and other groups in California.

There are no records to mess up. Really.

Colleges only care about transcripts; sometimes they want portfolios; often they want SAT/ACT scores. They don't care about any other records.

Quote:
Are the records that hard to keep and do you have to meet someone monthly as we do now.

Here are the "records" you're supposed to keep:

1. Courses offered by your school, which should be the same as those offered by public school.
2. Attendance records on which you have indicated when your dc is *absent* for more than half a day of however long your school day is.
3. Qualifcations of teachers. The only qualification is that you be a "person capable of teaching."

No one is allowed to look at those records. Ever.

Now, you might keep records on your own, such as samples of your dc's work, a list of textbooks used, books he has read, standardized test scores, and so on, but these are for *your* use, not for anyone else's.

And if you move to Oklahoma, you have even less to worry about as OK's founding fathers had the wherewithal to write into the constitution that parents have the right to homeschool. There is even less accountability than California has (which is none to speak of, anyway).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: