Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home schooling with a baby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andru_Johnson
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Home schooling with a baby Reply with quote

Hello, I don't really have any question persay, just reaching out a little I guess. I am home schooling my 2 dd's 2nd grade and PK4 and my son is 8 months old. It's getting a little easier since he is nursing less often and can play with toys now. I am not where I want to be in our curriculum. I'm not trying to keep up with anyone; I just wanted to be a little further along by now. My hubby is Navy so he is gone a lot and sometimes I am just so tired. I LOVE home schooling; I just wish I could be more disciplined! It is hard home schooling with a baby. Anyone else going through this or who has been through this?
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Home schooling with a baby Reply with quote

Yes, I've homeschooled with a baby. Will soon be doing so again. It is hard. After #4 was born I kept doing lessons every day but I still have no memory of that first month, 7 years later. I just did what I'd written in my lesson plans and trusted that it was OK. Afterward the kids said they'd learned things, they remembered the things they'd been taught. Whew!

I don't even remember whether I did anything or what it might have been after #3 was born. She was 7 months old when we started doing Kindergarten curriculum with my oldest. I always try to get through a certain set of things every day, but if we don't make it then I either write it off or try again tomorrow--and tomorrow, and tomorrow till I give up or it's done.

When #4 was starting to cruise along the furniture I couldn't start doing any schoolwork in the mornings until she'd gotten her fill of my attention. Sometimes that was the whole morning, and we didn't work on lessons until after lunch.

Hang in there and only do what works for your family.

Rest for mama is very important for the baby and the whole household!

Ramona
Davis_jacob
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!!! Smile I have a little one. I think it has a lot to do with your home school style...
We unschooled so my little one just goes along with us and participates in everything we do and everywhere we go--museums, parks, etc.
Are you using a "school at home" approach? Maybe you could try something more child-centered? I suggest you College By Twelve
CaithO
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My baby isn't really a baby anymore (she's almost two-years-old) but she's definitely a distraction at times! I try breaking up our day with lots and lots of looong breaks and if it looks like the baby is going to need attention I play on schooling a subject where a lot of the work can be done independently.

Hang in there; it'll only get easier!
~Elisabeth (23 months)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: