Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trying to convince parents to homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annonymous03
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: trying to convince parents to homeschool Reply with quote

I really want to get out of public school and just get homeschooled already.. 11th grade just started. i know it probably really late to get started but i heard that at my age i can self teach. ive tried asking my parents but their response is we dont have time to sit down and teach you and neither of us are teachers.. ive explained to them you dont need to be a teacher or take time ouf of your day for me.. they think im making it up and they tell me im wrong.. i want to show them im right somehow so that they homeschool me.

any ideas?

and if they say yes.. how do you start it like how do you confirm being homeschooled out of the blue.. do i have to call the school and let them know and all those kind of details.. etc etc

im looking for a nice detailed helpful answer i have no idea about this stuff
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to convince parents to homeschool Reply with quote

Go to the public library and browse through the books on homeschooling. You will probably find several books you can show your parents about how kids your age can study independently.

Go to your local community college and find out what they usually do with 11th-graders. Many high-school kids take courses at community colleges. The advisers and counselors there will help you with all your questions.

Check out your state homeschooling laws on-line. Your parents probably have to notify the authorities in writing that you will be leaving public school (maybe 15 days in advance, or something like that). Whether they also have to notify them that you will be starting home education depends on the state.

Google up homeschool support groups in your area and see if the people there can give you any specific help.

Ramona
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: trying to convince parents to homeschool Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
Go to the public library and browse through the books on homeschooling. You will probably find several books you can show your parents about how kids your age can study independently.

Go to your local community college and find out what they usually do with 11th-graders. Many high-school kids take courses at community colleges. The advisers and counselors there will help you with all your questions.

Check out your state homeschooling laws on-line. Your parents probably have to notify the authorities in writing that you will be leaving public school (maybe 15 days in advance, or something like that). Whether they also have to notify them that you will be starting home education depends on the state.

Google up homeschool support groups in your area and see if the people there can give you any specific help.

Ramona

Great advice, and I have a bit to add...

Depending on your state's laws, as Ramona stated, you may have to notify the school/authorities a certain amount of days in advance. In some states it's as easy as taking the withdraw papers to the school - with or without early notification - and handing them over to the principal. You are also allowed to request to have your school records given to you. A school's refusal to hand them over is illegal, so they can't say no.

It's easy to get started with homeschooling, but first you need to worry about getting your parents permission and being familiar with the laws on homeschooling in your state. It's important to know clearly what you'll need to do before you do it. It is, however, a lot easier than it seems to get started.

Good luck!
hates_school16
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice for me ben tryign forever parents say no they both work and there wont be much time tot each me is it possible i could teach myself or are they right.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can teach yourself most things. You might need help with a few subjects, but online courses (or a few minutes of your parents' time) should be sufficient for that.
hates_school16
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm ok im pretty smart so i should eb able to do most things any way to convince them
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to map out what materials you're going to use for each subject, and what schedule you're going to follow. If your parents can see a plan, they're a lot more likely to accept that you're serious about this.

Short of that, you could wait until school vacation, then give them a preview by studying on your own for a few weeks. If it seems to be going well, they can let you continue when school starts up again.
judyh
User

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: before you talk to your parents about homeschooling... Reply with quote

Its important to understand what your parents think about you being responsible enough to homeschool yourself. Before raising this topic up to your parents, you may want to show them that you're mature and responsible enough to delve into homeschooling. For example, if your parents are seeing that you have no trouble at school, clean up your room, help with the dishes, etc.., they may be more convinced and take you more seriously.

At the same time, i also think that finding a home school support group in your local area is important. Perhaps introducing your parents to other parents who are homeschooling their kids may help ease some of your parents' concerns.

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum
MelissaM
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get all your information together to present to your parents in a way that will help to demonstrate to them how serious you are and how likely you are to succeed.
Naturalnut
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Robinsoncurriculum.com or A2 (I forget the website). Those are both self taught curriculum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: