Active listening exercises

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

teensmom
User

Active listening exercises

Postby teensmom » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:19 pm

My 15-year-old son has slow processing skills and is diagnosed cognitively impaired. I think I've caught on to a big problem in his learning style, he doesn't fully listen to what he's being told or asked. I find myself saying, "That's not the question I asked," quite a bit! Any suggestions on active listening exercises? I was thinking of some dictation work. Something to help him learn to focus on what's being said.
Thanks,
Donna
www.holidayforeveryday.com

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:51 pm

I have my littles repeat back the question so I know they at least heard it and are on their way to processing it.

Have you thought about games like What Johnny Has In His Pocket?
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

teensmom
User

Postby teensmom » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:26 am

I've never heard of that game, what is it?

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:51 am

It's an old travel game. The first person starts off, "Johnny has an apple in his pocket." And then the second person, "Johnny has an apple and a book in his pocket." Third, "Johnny has an apple, a book, and a string in his pocket"

and so on and so on, until someone can't remember everything Johnny has in his pocket. :lol:
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:38 am

We've played that, only in our case it's a shopping basket. Makes more sense than a pocket, you can store more in a basket :)

kerry1968
User

Postby kerry1968 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:14 pm

my son used earaerobics it isn't cheap but they have free games on their website that are kinda cool.

teensmom
User

Postby teensmom » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:12 am

Thanks for the great suggestions! We'll try playign the game in the car and I'll check out the Earobics site.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:00 am

I got a copy of earobics from the school. It is great for a lot of things for reading and spelling and writing, and general listening skills.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”