Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV Pastors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: TV Pastors Reply with quote

This seemed like a fun question to me that I was curious about: Who is your favorite television pastor and do you watch them regularly? My favorite is Charles Stanley and I try to watch him every Saturday night. (What a party animal I am!) Very Happy

Calleigh
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question. I am sure there are preachers out there I have never even heard of that are in the main stream. We actually have a local TV station where I live and they have a lot of religious programming so the people I watch are all local and no one on this board, outside of someone who lives down the block from me, would know any of the people I watch. I watch the pastor from our local Baptist Church and my old neighbor preaches so occasionally him, but I don't always believe the same way he does so sometimes I have to turn it off. My husband loves the Southern Gospel Praise Time which I believe is mostly music. We don't watch any of them regularly but we do watch the station regularly so we actually watch some kind of preaching/Christian singing almost everyday.
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you on the not agreeing with some things. I once watched a local pastor on a station and liked the message so much that we decided to visit that church. It was quite a disappointment when we got there and I disgreed with almost everything he said!! Surprised It turned out to be one of those "name it claim it" feeling services; it's all about what you want. Sad I don't like those.

Calleigh
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:10 am Post subject:
I hear you on the not agreeing with some things. I once watched a local pastor on a station and liked the message so much that we decided to visit that church. It was quite a disappointment when we got there and I disgreed with almost everything he said!! Surprised It turned out to be one of those "name it claim it" feeling services; it's all about what you want. Sad I don't like those.

Calleigh

Me either...at my house we call them "feel good churches". I just visited a church like that. People just raved about it and we are looking for one since we just moved, so we tried it. Yea mistake.
There is one service on our local station that we turn on just for the beginning because we get a kick out of it. Once the service starts they have men stand at all the doors, like bouncers, and you never see anyone even try to leave, not even with a child. Makes us wonder about that church. And the pastor of this church is, well lets say, interesting and again a feel good church.
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: pastors Reply with quote

No one wants to hear the truth of the gospel. So, those churches just give them a sucker and entertain them and stamp their book as attended church this week. I am sounding bitter. we are not going anywhere steady now because fed up with the childish ways of church folks. But still devoted to God. I love Charles Stanley. But I listen to the radio program in mornings at 8:30 am. I have extensive notes from his sermons and at least every thing he says you can follow in scripture.

I like Joel Osteen. My husband likes Joyce Meyer. We both like a good sermon that makes you want to dig deeper.
4given
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: pastors Reply with quote

micheller79 wrote:
No one wants to hear the truth of the gospel. So, those churches just give them a sucker and entertain them and stamp their book as attended church this week. I am sounding bitter. we are not going anywhere steady now because fed up with the childish ways of church folks. But still devoted to God.

No one? It sounds as if you've been hurt or letdown by someone in the church. I know I have. But I just want to encourage you to forgive. Churches are full of people, that's all, just people. And God happens to call them the Body of Christ and gets a lot of His kingdom work done through them. I don't want to step on your toes....but, the Word says how can you say you love God but don't love the brethren. Since you do love the truth of the Gospel, I felt at liberty to go there. I mean no offense whatsoever. Believe me..I've been there. You have been given specific gifts and abilities that God wants you to use in a local church body. Seek Him as to where that may be.

Something I try to remember...Even the absolute, perfect church would cease to be perfect the moment I enter the door.
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Micheller,

I like Joel Osteen too, but I do find him to be more of a "believers" preacher. It doesn't seem like you can really apply many of his sermons to a non believer; if you did it would only be a "feel good" thing. That is the thing that is concerning, you see like ten thousand people sitting there feeling all good, but do they know Jesus?

It is hard, being involved in a local church because I think we just expect more from these people. And really, why shouldn't we? If we are who we claim to be it should change us. (even though we all fail from time to time) the core should be forgiving and accepting of each other and I think that is where the church often "lets us down." Sad And I hear you on the people not really wanting to hear the truth. Many of the purpose driven type churches spend so much time trying to be "relevant" to the world that they start to look and act just like the world. It's hard to preach the truth when you are worried about keeping people "happy." It does people a horrible disservice, I think.

I do hope you find a great church where you feel you fit in and can hear the Word. But your devotion to God is His greatest concern; it's not about just going to a church. (but you already know that Smile )

Calleigh
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: pastors Reply with quote

I did have to forgive quite a few times. I didn't mean to sound unforgiving. I love all, esp. the unlovable. but thanks for responding. I do love the lord and you are right if we don't love our neighbor then we do not love god.
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micheller, you didn't sound unforgiving, at all. You sounded more like someone who was in a battle. I just happened to read it and was able to relate. I've seen some really tough times lately with regards to the Body of Christ. I've struggled with wanting to retreat from the situation but I always come back to the understanding that I am where God wants me to be. I am clinging to the word that says He causes all things to work together for good for those who love Him. I have forgiven the person in this situation and I've seen God move. He's changing the other person's heart, as well as my own. It's been a painful process but I know God is with me in it. I hope that I did not sound offensive. That was not my intention.
mommyto2gr8ones
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Joyce Meyer fan though I don't watch her as much as I would like. I haven't found any other that can preach The Word and get to my heart EVERY time. Love her books too.
And Furbaby CopyCat~7/03
"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me"~Phillipians 4:13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Religious Discussion / Topics All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: