Homeschooling Dad - looking for a peer

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Homeschooling Dad - looking for a peer

Postby Clayman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:57 am

I'm a homeschooling dad. Unable to find work (while my wife's career is shooting to the stratosphere), I have taken on the job of homeschooling.

It's very important to me that I do this, my kids are more important to me than just about anything in this world. They tie with my wife! :)

I am trying to get involved with a homeschool group in my area, but being the only male doing it, I am having problems settling in. I have found that I'm excluded at many group activities because I have the wrong plumbing. My kids participate, but when the ladies start talking, they move away from me. I don't think I'm a scary guy, rather, I think it's that they want to talk 'girl-talk'. So, I'm not included. As a result, my family is not involved in a homeschool group.

I have yet to find another homeschool dad in all the places I've looked. I figure it's either one of two things:
  1. I am looking in the wrong places.
  2. I am truly a one-of-a-kind. (which I highly doubt)

Are there any other Homeschooling Dads out there?

Postby Lindsey » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:47 pm

In the homeschool group that I belong to there are several stay at home dads that homeschool. I will forward this post to them for them to reply. Although they are not in your area they might offer some suggestions or even just be someone to correlate with. I think it is wonderful that you made that decision and wish you the best.
First Year Home Schooler and Mom to Three Wonderful Girls ages 6, 2, and 7mos.

Return to “Getting Started”