Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you homeschool even if it was illegal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottHughes
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Would you homeschool even if it was illegal? Reply with quote

How dedicated are you to homeschooling? Would you homeschool even if it was illegal?

I know some people have very deep moral opposition to the mainstream school system.

If it was illegal to homeschool, I would just move to a place where it is legal.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I would try to find a place where it is legal. The only way I would stay in a place that was illegal was if the school system was my idea of perfect.
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because I would not risk losing my children. But I would be the most hated mother in all the school system.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think homeschooling was illegal per se when my parents started, but social workers in Missouri had a tendency to call the anonymous child abuse hotline and place fake abuse claims against homeschoolers, so they'd have an excuse to come take their children away. Homeschooling was quite dangerous until more recently.
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question and people still do that too. Georgia, in particular, is being looked at in how the DaFCS system is operating and there are steps being taken to change the law. In fact, one of the most predominate homeschool advocates, who used to work for attorneys, in the Atlanta area had a terrible ordeal last year with DaFCS with her daughter's family and their grandchildren while they were living in her home. At one point a DaFCS agent came with police and supposedly a warrant although nothing was shown to the people except a folded piece of paper the agent flashed around for a few seconds, because there was no warrant.

I am one of the most rebellious people when it comes to government interference in our personal lives, particularly when it comes down to the difference between the "law" and "color of law." I also have a tendency to enjoy finding legal loop holds and exercising my rights accordingly.

However, now that I have a child... well, I probably have a more compliant attitude than before, but I do no more than I have to do by law. (I believe very strongly that high school aged children should be taught law--not just the basics, but how to research in a real law library with real law books, so they know can spot actions that are actually color of law and really know their rights.)

Back to the question, I believe strongly in homeschooling, but I believe stronger in the Lord, so I would do as He leads us to do at the time.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would homeschool even if it was illegal. I'd be first in line to be the test case [*bg*]
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would send my kids to a private Christian school if it were illegal to homeschool; I feel DONE with public school, unless God tells us something different!
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be hard to decide. It would have to be a after a lot of prayer. If i had the money i would send my children to a private school if i had to, or a charter school. But I would be the most involved mother in the school. Either I would work there or volunteer ALL day long! Very Happy If I chose to Homeschool, I'm sure there would be quite an underground movement of Homeschoolers to join! Wink
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo3boys wrote:
If I chose to Homeschool, I'm sure there would be quite an underground movement of Homeschoolers to join! Wink

Cool Cool Cool Very Happy
1to1tutor
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it would pain me, I would not home school if it were illegal. I don't think I could handle the stress of breaking the law like that. I would feel like I would need to hide way too much and be way too dishonest. I also wouldn't be able to set myself as an example for my children if I am breaking the law on purpose. How could I promote honesty if I'm lying and hiding the truth??
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting question. How far should you go when following the law? If the government said you had to pay a 90% tax rate, should you feel compelled to do it? After all, render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, right? What if the government decided it wanted to take your property? How about if it said you should spy on your neighbors? How about if the government said that Jews needed to be hunted down and turned over to the authorities to be gased to death? There are certain lines that have to be drawn, basically wherever the government far oversteps its authority and starts making laws that would require you to act contrary to your beliefs. In this particular instance, the government has no right to force you to teach your children a certain way, and in fact public schooling as it now stands wasn't even invented until around 1900, and wasn't fully liberalized until some time after that. If homeschooling were illegal, you'd have every right to break that particular law, and in fact should feel compelled to do so if the alternative is your children being indocrinated in ways you don't support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: