Anyone familiar with Mosiac Downs??

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

smonk2325
User

Anyone familiar with Mosiac Downs??

Postby smonk2325 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:19 pm

I am home schooling a 13 year old who is diagnosed Mosiac downs. Can anyone give me any insight or guidance in this area??

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:34 am

My youngest son has Down Syndrome but he is only 17 mos. I plan to HS him just as I have his three older brothers. He will be able to go at his own pace. I will probably consult with various therapists periodically. Other than that, I'm not sure what to expect. I just know that PS is not an option for him...just as it's not an option for my other children.

In the Down Syndrome community, there is a lot of talk about Inclusion and Mainstreaming. It sometimes seems as if HS is taboo. But in our family, Inclusion takes on a whole new perspective...if I'm making sense. Anyway, I know there are plenty of families HSing their children with DS. Well, "plenty" may be overstating a little. I would recommend digging around the Nathhan website.

smonk2325
User

thank you

Postby smonk2325 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:35 am

I will check out the website. I understand your feelings about "inclusion". I am a certified teacher, and have spent several years trying to make sence of this all. I understand your frusterations, as do several teachers and admistrators. I think we all know it isen't working for "every" student.

I am taking a year off from PS, and home shcooling three kids. One is 13 and has Downs. I want to do all I can to help him, I just want his and my goals to be achievable. I will check out the site.

Good luck to you and your kids.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”