Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CountryMom27
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Summer homeschool Reply with quote

My kids both attend public school during the year for various reasons, but they both are quite smart and I think capable of much more. They don't seem very challenged in school (entering Kindergarten & 2nd grade in the Fall). I'm a very intuitive thinker/problem solver and I teach at university, so I will ask them things in everyday activities that they completely get, that are well beyond their grade level (e.g. my five year old completely gets basic multiplication; my seven year old is reading at a third grade level).

My plan for the summer is a lot of time off for them, but some homeschooling to keep them on track and help them get ahead. But I need some ideas.

For my 2nd grader, he's going to be reading books he likes, writing in his journal (which he loves to do), and I'd like to do some math games and puzzles with him. I've thought about Singapore Math (I really liked the 1st grade book that I got for him to supplement school last year). The Summer Bridge and similar activities seem light. I'm not into science, so I'll let that be for next year when he's in school.

For my Kindergartener (who does have a speech articulation delay), we'll be doing speech games, some word-building games and finger-writing (he loves my iPad), drawing and math games. I'm not sure if I should do a math curriculum with him but I think he'd enjoy having a workbook (as would my 2nd grader).

I'm also wondering how best to organize things? I'm crazy busy with just life and my teaching, housework, etc. Do I schedule a time, keep a log, is there an app for that (LOL but a bit serious!)? I'm thinking I need to do a chart or something so I make sure we cover a bit of everything each week and I can keep track of where we are?

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks so much!
Mel
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mel,

I think all of the ideas you have for this summer are great! I would suggest Donna Young's site for keeping organized. She has free printables. Here is a link.

http://donnayoung.org/forms/index.htm

Best wishes!
CountryMom27
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Does it sound like I am trying to do too much with them?
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think you're trying to do too much. I think it sounds reasonable. I especially liked the fact that all the things you've planned for your kindergartener sounded fun. I like to keep learning enjoyable as much as possible. (games, etc. are a good way to do that) As long as they have balance in their days, then it will be fine............for example, some school work but also lots of time to ride bikes, swim, play, etc.
SalmanAndani
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer homeschool Reply with quote

CountryMom27 wrote:
My kids both attend public school during the year for various reasons, but they both are quite smart and I think capable of much more. They don't seem very challenged in school (entering Kindergarten & 2nd grade in the Fall). I'm a very intuitive thinker/problem solver and I teach at university, so I will ask them things in everyday activities that they completely get, that are well beyond their grade level (e.g. my five year old completely gets basic multiplication; my seven year old is reading at a third grade level).

My plan for the summer is a lot of time off for them, but some homeschooling to keep them on track and help them get ahead. But I need some ideas.

For my 2nd grader, he's going to be reading books he likes, writing in his journal (which he loves to do), and I'd like to do some math games and puzzles with him. I've thought about Singapore Math (I really liked the 1st grade book that I got for him to supplement school last year). The Summer Bridge and similar activities seem light. I'm not into science, so I'll let that be for next year when he's in school.

For my Kindergartener (who does have a speech articulation delay), we'll be doing speech games, some word-building games and finger-writing (he loves my iPad), drawing and math games. I'm not sure if I should do a math curriculum with him but I think he'd enjoy having a workbook (as would my 2nd grader).

I'm also wondering how best to organize things? I'm crazy busy with just life and my teaching, housework, etc. Do I schedule a time, keep a log, is there an app for that (LOL but a bit serious!)? I'm thinking I need to do a chart or something so I make sure we cover a bit of everything each week and I can keep track of where we are?

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks so much!
Mel

visit this site for kids activities
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: